Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tried to start my 68 lemans the other day, and it would not start. I had fuel running out the top of the carb, & someone pointed out here on the forum that the float might be stuck.. sure enough, I tapped on the carb, and it then started and ran fine.

now today.....
I take it out for a little ride in town. everything was going fine for 5 minutes or so, and all of a sudden it started puking and dieing. I pulled over and tried to start it. It started right up and I revved it up. pulled away from the curb and made it about 100 feet and it started dieing again. This went for about 6 or 7 more times, and then I parked it at home. I went out and tried it again a few hours later, and it started right up and ran fine for about 2 minutes, and then started acting up again.

It has a new fuel tank and sending unit.

Is it possible something is floating around in the fuel bowl in the carb, and after it runs awhile, it plugs up the hole ?

I feel the problem is definately fuel related, because I can get it to do it by messing with the throttle....

any ideas? I was almost wondering if the fuel filter could do this?

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Yes its possible the fuel filter is clogged up and starving it, i run one of the clear plastic ones on the rubber line down by the power steering pump and another good inline one in front of the carb on the fuel log. I get the plastic ones cheap at the swap meets and keep 4-5 laying around the shop. They will catch all the crud, are sacrificial and take 3 minutes to swap. I would check that first, does not sound like its flooding it, do you smell gas when it dies?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its possible the fuel filter is clogged up and starving it, i run one of the clear plastic ones on the rubber line down by the power steering pump and another good inline one in front of the carb on the fuel log. I get the plastic ones cheap at the swap meets and keep 4-5 laying around the shop. They will catch all the crud, are sacrificial and take 3 minutes to swap. I would check that first, does not sound like its flooding it, do you smell gas when it dies?
Nope, I don't smell gas when it's doing it. I think it's starving for fuel. It's just weird how it will start right back up, but maybe when it shuts off, the pressure releases, and the crud uncovers the outlet of the filter. I will tackle it tomorrow when the parts stores are open....

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
Sounds like either the float is sticking and not letting fuel in, or the fuel pump is not pumping fuel, or the filter is restricting the flow. The fact that it comes and goes, I think I would start at the carb and buy a rebuild kit for it replacing the needle and seat and the accelerator pump and check the float.

·
Registered
75 Posts
its time to rebuild carb ..most likely floats are sticking again and need to be replaced ...really not that difficult you can find all the info you need on line if you haven't done this before...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts