Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went back to the track after installing the Svede intake, Pedders springs and shocks and Drag radials. On my last track visit without these mods I was only able to hit mostly 13.40's and I think I ran one 13.2x and it was a cooler day than today but traction wasnt good and I gave it minimal cool down time after the 1+hour drive. My best run ever before today was a [email protected] and that was on a cool 50 some degree day with a cool engine. I ran two 13.0's that day.
I went today with my new mods and never popped the hood and no cool down time because my wife was with me and I didnt want to torture her too much with the waiting around. :)
I was expecting a little better 60' but the drag radials make the car so much more consistant and predictable. So my new best is
60' 1.983
1/8 8.379
mph 86.22
1/4 12.949
mph 107.91

my old best time. It doesnt look much better now but this was on a colder day and with a cool down.
60' 2.059
1/8 8.474
mph 85.48
1/4 13.085
mph 106.90

I know the car has at least another .10 in it if I would cool the engine down a bit but im pretty happy with it so far for what I have done to it.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Congrats! I would like to make a run one of these days,but I'm nervous about doing it.

Too scared I'll make an a*s out of myself out there.lol

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I went back to the track after installing the Svede intake, Pedders springs and shocks and Drag radials. On my last track visit without these mods I was only able to hit mostly 13.40's and I think I ran one 13.2x and it was a cooler day than today but traction wasnt good and I gave it minimal cool down time after the 1+hour drive. My best run ever before today was a [email protected] and that was on a cool 50 some degree day with a cool engine. I ran two 13.0's that day.
I went today with my new mods and never popped the hood and no cool down time because my wife was with me and I didnt want to torture her too much with the waiting around. :)
I was expecting a little better 60' but the drag radials make the car so much more consistant and predictable. So my new best is
60' 1.983
1/8 8.379
mph 86.22
1/4 12.949
mph 107.91

my old best time. It doesnt look much better now but this was on a colder day and with a cool down.
60' 2.059
1/8 8.474
mph 85.48
1/4 13.085
mph 106.90

I know the car has at least another .10 in it if I would cool the engine down a bit but im pretty happy with it so far for what I have done to it.
:cheers
Congrats! I would like to make a run one of these days,but I'm nervous about doing it.

Ehhh don't worry about the peanut gallery in the stands. Most first timers made mistakes and even vets do too. The first time I drag race years ago I kept red lighting.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Thanks! There is nothing to it so dont be scared ;). On your first time just watch what the other guy does if your not sure about how to stage up. There isnt too much you can do to mess up to look like a ass. Just take it easy till you get the feel for the launch. You will love it if you like racing at all. You will get a nice rush especially if the competition is good. I beat a new 5.0 mustang, and a couple of imports. And got beat by a Honda civic and a old lx Mustang. The Honda was running high 11's. The Mustang high 10's.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
There isnt too much you can do to mess up to look like a ass.
I can think of some what I've seen:
- Try to stage with rear wheels
- Rolling thru the water box and doing a massive burn out with street tires. It ok to clean the tires without the water box or rear wheels only.
- Stay in the gas while your clearly out of control

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can think of some what I've seen:
- Try to stage with rear wheels
- Rolling thru the water box and doing a massive burn out with street tires. It ok to clean the tires without the water box or rear wheels only.
- Stay in the gas while your clearly out of control
heh! I have yet to see someone try to stage with the rear wheels but that would be halarious.:rofl:
I personally have done the burnout on street tires :willy: It does not take long to learn.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
Thats a nice PB but I'm surprised you didn't do better with the intake manifold and TB. Trap speed is looking good though.

What strip where you at? Ambient temps?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a nice PB but I'm surprised you didn't do better with the intake manifold and TB. Trap speed is looking good though.

What strip where you at? Ambient temps?
I was at Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie va. The temp was around 75-80 degrees when I was running. I had over a hour drive to get to the track so the car was heatsoaked and I didnt let it cool off any. Although the Svede intake helped a lot cooling it down would have helped more. I ran 6 times back to back as fast as I could and never popped the hood. The only time it had to cool down was the time I waited in the staging lane. I was running 12.9s every time except for two runs when I hit a 13.0 and a 13.1 because I was experimenting with my launch. I got the best 60' by just barely loading it up a little and just stabbing it to the floor immediately on takeoff. I did hit over a 108mph on one of my runs but that wasnt my best et. It was a 12.9x run though with a 2.0x 60'.
I was expecting it to be a little faster too but I saw a bunch of other cars that should be faster than mine running slow times so I dunno. I will go back in the fall and let the car cool off for a little while and I bet I can get at least a 12.8x out of it maybe better.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Nice, good feeling to break into the 12s.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
heh! I have yet to see someone try to stage with the rear wheels but that would be halarious.:rofl:
I personally have done the burnout on street tires :willy: It does not take long to learn.
I'm talking about those katts that go out and do a full on Pro-Street burn out:lol:

·
Registered
15 Posts

i went to my local track last night for the first time with a bunch of buddies that have raced befor nervous as hell to make an ass out of myself, and guess what, I did my first run I spun through 3rd and got a 17.5 haha. I only got one more run cause 3 civics leaked oil on the track and caused an hour and a half of clean up. but i ran a 14.4, still not good but ill take it over the 17.5. I had a blast though and cant wait till next friday to go again and try to get better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts