Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a lot of others, I really hated the sad excuse of a stereo system that was put in our cars. So gm4life gave me a hand (not with the cash though) with the new set up. I was going for a clarity set up more than a loud set up. I definitely got what I wanted.

The components I have are;
Kenwood DDX512 head unit

Infinity Kappa 60.7CS 6.5" component system (2 pair)
The only components that are exposed from the interior speakers are the tweeters from the rear set.

Infinity Reference 5350a 5-channel amplifier

-Sub level controller

Rockford Fosgate 1 farad capacitor
This cap is pretty nice. If you touch it at any time on the tinted cover on the top it will display the battery voltage.

Bazooka 8" bass tube (4 ohm)
I removed the rear deck subs to allow the bass to vent from the sub. I chose the 8" because I didn't want crazy bass but this 8" performs a lot better than I expected. The bass is less than half way on the head unit and the sub controller up front is adjusted about 3/4 way. It hits like something larger is in the trunk.

This is were it was initially;

Now it's here;

I hope you guys like it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Cool, congrats looks good man!! Nice and clean. I had my cap hidden under the sub box in the spare tire well. My sig is a pic of my trunk. :cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
post a pic of the entire center where the head unit is. I wondered how clean a screen would look in there.

·
Registered
36 Posts
not bad- I may do this once I get my performance stuff installed. Look! The knob is on the correct side!

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That looks like a nice clean install! :cheers
Thanks Rukee! :cheers

Gm4life and I really took our time with it. It took at least 16 hours minimum for the install and worth every minute. Every wire that had to be joined to another wire, speaker terminal, etc. was soldered and heat shrinked (or would that be heat shrunk). I tell you though that this car was the biggest pain in the buttocks of any car that I've ever installed a stereo in. Just to get to the rear deck speakers we had to remove the door sills, lower rear seat trim, upper seat belt trim, upper rear/side window panel, rear seats, rear speakers panel, third brake light and the rear deck panel/cover before getting to the speakers. I guess it would have been too easy for GM to mount the speakers from inside of the trunk which would have taken less than 15 minutes to remove them as opposed to an hour or so.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
are those blue and white Jordans?
or are those nikes?
haha, but seriously... is that a 7"?
:rofl: I noticed my foot was in the shot after I posted it. They're not Nikes. They're a low top walking/hiking type sneaker by Timberland. They are ugly as hell but very comfortable.

The Bazooka tube is an 8".

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, congrats looks good man!! Nice and clean. I had my cap hidden under the sub box in the spare tire well. My sig is a pic of my trunk. :cheers
Thanks. :cheers It looks like you got some nice junk in your trunk. :D Is that a 12"? What do you have in your set up?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks. :cheers It looks like you got some nice junk in your trunk. :D Is that a 12"? What do you have in your set up?
Yeah, the sub is a 12" kicker. Also in the trunk is a kicker 5ch amp and a 2ch amp that powers a polk 6.5" momo component system up front, a pair of polk momo 6.5" coaxials in the rear side panels and another pair of polk 6.5" coaxials on the rear deck. For my headunit I got the pioneer avic-z2 w/ the bluetooth adapter and xm radio as well. I used to be a mgr for circuit city and got ridiculous discounts on car audio stuff. :willy::willy::willy:

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very proffesional! One of a kind, and finally a GTO with a clear sound system :lol:
Thanks. Man you should see those cheap Made in China crap speakers that are in our cars. You'd expect to see those in a G5 but not the GTO. I had no problem tossing every last one of 'em in the trash.

·
1/8 7.63 at 89.14, 60ft of 1.61
260 Posts
Now that is a very nice set up,it fits there so nice and flush,and i bet it sounds good too,nice job.Could i see it in person someday!!! Brenda;)

p.s. what trim piece on the radio did you use?

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now that is a very nice set up,it fits there so nice and flush,and i bet it sounds good too,nice job.Could i see it in person someday!!! Brenda;)

p.s. what trim piece on the radio did you use?
Sure you can see it in person. I might even turn it on for ya. :D Maybe I'll come by this weekend or you guys can come by my place.

The radio trim is what Crutchfield sent.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Hey guys im doin the same thing to my gto. I made 2 sub boxes hand maked in fiberglass and them I have a 6 farad cap. and a 1ohm mono block amp. pics this weekend!!

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey guys im doin the same thing to my gto. I made 2 sub boxes hand maked in fiberglass and them I have a 6 farad cap. and a 1ohm mono block amp. pics this weekend!!
6 farad? :eek: You must be building some crazy show system. What size subs are you using? 12s or 15s? How many?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts