Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 goat all stock it has almost 50,000 miles on it, and I have a mystery coolant leak! Couple weeks ago I I added some coolant to top it off cause it was low but since I bought it and now I never see coolant fluid under car its bone dry. So I thought maybe the rad cap was weak and maybe it was coming out of filler neck because I think I saw white burnt deposits running down the rad from the filler neck side.

So yesterday I was changing out air filter and cleaning the maf sensor and checked the coolant and again it was low, but I don't still see fluid on the ground.

Could it be possible there's a small leak but since the rad is so Hot it can be burning it up before hits the ground?

probably a leak in the cores somewhere huh? Thanks

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I have a 05 goat all stock it has almost 50,000 miles on it, and I have a mystery coolant leak! Couple weeks ago I I added some coolant to top it off cause it was low but since I bought it and now I never see coolant fluid under car its bone dry. So I thought maybe the rad cap was weak and maybe it was coming out of filler neck because I think I saw white burnt deposits running down the rad from the filler neck side.
So yesterday I was changing out air filter and cleaning the maf sensor and checked the coolant and again it was low, but I don't still see fluid on the ground.

Could it be possible there's a small leak but since the rad is so Hot it can be burning it up before hits the ground?

Find the highest point that you see the white residue and that is probally where the leak is.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a similar leak and it was loose clamps on the small hoses that are located, I believe, at the base of the reservoir. It was warranty work so I wasn't involved in the fix.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Check all the hoses and connections for sticky red residue under the car too. Run the car check the exhuast for white/sweet smoke.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The best idea would be to pressure test the system. Once you do that you can immediately heqar or see where the leak if coming from (if it's external). If you see absolutely NOTHING and you checked every inch of the car, check the oil as 06gtoin216 said, and if it looks like a milkshake then you definite;y have an internal leak. This is mostly due to head gasket leaks, so check everything out and make sure the car's okay.

·
Registered
24 Posts

My car is at the dealership what almost seems based on the same issue as yours. One thing to definitely check for is to see if your transcooler lines are not rotting away or leaking. From GM they are nearly $100.00 a piece. Be very careful with this as I learned a hard lesson losing nearly $3000.00 for a head gasket replacement on my '05 GTO which is tied to exactly what you are experiencing.

Also coolant can be leaking out of your head gaskets too, this is more of a common problem in GTOs than I thought.

Hopefully I'll get to pick my car up today. It has been in the dealership for seven days now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well from the rear of car exhuast tips I dont see any white smoke or any color smoke coming out its clear as it can be, and I dont smell nothing funny or sweet. So Hopefully its just a rad issue.

Tommorow when I put in a new stp stock air filter I will check the fluid level since it'll be couple days running since I topped it off. I 'll report tommrow.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok finally foound the leak. Ok so when you open the hood and remove top black engine bay cover over the rad, then look at your left side/passenger side, infront of the rad below the rad cap/neck, along downwards theres a straight harline crack going straight down. I couldnt see much beyond half way down, so atleast its cracked half way.

So I think it was this past saturday I added more fluid and today I added about a 1 cup worth to top it off again. So at this rate seems like it loses about a cup of fluid every 2-3 days worth of my regular dailiy driving.

I was thinking about epoxy/jb weld, you guys this thats a good idea or neh? Thanks

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
In the link below there's a link to the Mitchell 1 OnDemand database. Use the user name and password in the post to get in and then you can search your vehicle and then search 'radiator' and that should lead you to the removal and installation procedures.
http://www.gtoforum.com/233104-post3.html

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
http://www.gtoforum.com/f3/06-goat-w-radiator-crack-45kmiles-29496/

Take a look at that. i have 45k on my car and this is what happend to mine.
Hahah thats the exact crack wheres mine is at, but not severe yet slow leak. I should take the advice from the guy above us and not drive it before it gets worst.

Thats why Today just placed an rad order for my 05 from that ebay seller Pro Radiators that some people here got from them also. Whats cool is that they are in torrance california and im in cali to so she said I should get it tommorow, which I can install it saturday. Thanks for all help.... :seeya:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My new radiator did come in today, so I will put it on tommrow. Do I need any special tool to remove the auto tranny cooling line from the radiator?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
I'm not sure on the GTO since mine is a 6 speed but on my daiily driver Ranger (auto trans) I use a flare wrench on the lines while holding the fitting on the radiator with an open end wrench.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also a question for you or someone else, I printed some removal instructions on ALLDATA for the electric fan removal and even the radiator instructions says remove the negative battery terminal why? Thanks

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
That's just a precaution that's generally suggested when working with any electrical components. It keeps you for accidentally shorting something out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's just a precaution that's generally suggested when working with any electrical components. It keeps you for accidentally shorting something out.
But no performance lost or something from the ecu getting reset by removing battery terminal?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts