Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The car has a strong gas odor when driving. It is worse at higher RPM's. There is no obvious leaks, and there are no wet spots under it. I am guessing that the carb is loading up when the accelerator is moderately applied under a load. I'm not a carb expert. Is this possible, is there a way to check for this, and what would cause it? It is a factory reman'd Quadrajet 4bbl that was put on when the engine was rebuilt about 12 years/4,500 miles ago.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Smell

:cool Assuming it's the pictured GTO... Crawl under the rear and check out the vent on the front of the gas tank. The hoses can get clogged with dirt/debris.

What have you changed on the car lately? A changed part is the usual suspect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It is the one pictured. Other than the oil, and it actually being driven a little rather than sitting in the garage nothing has been changed. I'll check the vent hose in the morning. Didn't think about that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only visually under the hood while looking for wet gas. It never occurred to me to look behind the engine bay because of the way it's presenting. I'll get out there and check it in a bit. I'm being a little lazy this morning.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lines were good. Looked closer at the carb and two of the mounting nuts were loose. I retorqued them and it seems to have solved it. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts