Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pulling the interior out of my 1965 GTO to replace it. When I pulled out the quarter trim panels I found "SMITH" written in white grease pencil on the passenger's side, and "J" written on the driver's side. I am new to GTOs and Pontiac, so I was wondering if this is something done at the factory or maybe done later. As far as I know the panels are original and unmolested. Any info would be great.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Good possibility it was an assembly plant worker's personal car, that was being built and it was noted early on right out of Fisher Body. Have torn apart waaay too many original sheet metal GM Abodys, GP's, and F bodies, typical grease pencil markings I've examined have always been those of a few numbers or letters or symbolls like an X.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I agree. I have torn apart considerably less GTO's than Pinionhead, but the ones I have in the past 40-odd years, I've never seen a name. Probably a special build for an employee, marked to get preferential treatment. Neat find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anyway to track down who ordered the car originally, or what dealer it was delivered to? I have the PHS documents, but they are blank where the dealer name should be. Might be able to connect the name on the car to an owner.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts