Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This event took place on March 18.

Well, this is what happened. My division and I met up at the Virginia Motorsports Park around 2:00pm. We waited for the track manager to dry the track, which took about 45min. My competition, the 2003 Ford Cobra, has still not shown up.

About three days ago, my friend who drives the Cobra backed out. I could not believe this guy was backing down to a 2004 GTO. He has talked crap to me almost everyday for a year. I guess the plain, sleeper look is more intimidating than people think. Anyway, I convinced him that he had the advantage. His car has more horsepower, torque and is lighter (3500lb Cobra to 3900lb GTO). Anyway he was back in the race. I spoke to him on Friday March 18, the day of the race. He said, "well, I will try and make it." Needless to say he never showed up.
At this time, I am upset. :mad: I'm gonna race somebody. My division officer shows up with a 2005 Mustang. He refuses to race the Goat. My friend with a 2003 Monty Carlo SS, says "I will race you". I said okay, I will give you a head start and I will have somebody sit in the passenger seat of the Goat to add weight.
Todd, the track manager, calls us out to the starting line. We get both cars staged. A few minutes pass by and Todd calls me down to the other end of the track. He says he is sorry, but he has a problem. He cannot get the Ambulance until 6:00pm. I cannot wait until 6:00pm. So, we do the ceremony on the track without racing. My day has just gone to ****. Anyway Todd offered me some free passes. I told him I won’t be back until May during Pontiacs In The Park. He said that is sponsored by someone else and he will do what he can.
My division wanted me to do a burn out and smoke my tires, so I gave the ultimate burn out which was about 70ft. The tires were smoking.

As of today, my friend with the 2003 Cobra still talks, but refuses to race me. One of his statements is GTO (Go The Otherway). Anyway, the race was supposed to be just for fun. I know I can't be the car, but I was hoping to beat him.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry to hear your day went south. Sounds like that would've been a great way to have a re-enlistment ceremony.

Hope you can get together with the Mustang owner in May. :cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subdriver said:
Sorry to hear your day went south. Sounds like that would've been a great way to have a re-enlistment ceremony.

Hope you can get together with the Mustang owner in May. :cheers
Thanks for your reply. As far as the Ford goes, the offer is still on the table. I will pay for his gas and his entry fee.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are probably right about that... And I will never race him off the track, because I would be dumb enough to max the Goat out in 6th gear @ 6000rpm (MY speed limiter has been removed :D ).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
bluegto04 said:
You are probably right about that... And I will never race him off the track, because I would be dumb enough to max the Goat out in 6th gear @ 6000rpm (MY speed limiter has been removed :D ).
:eek:

You have a shift light mod or something? That's playin' mit der fiire! :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Groucho said:
:eek:

You have a shift light mod or something? That's playin' mit der fiire! :D
My custom tune has the speed limiter set at 255 mph. Of course the GOAT won't go that speed, but it will exceed 180 mph. James at RWTD does very good custome tunes. What is a shift light mod?

·
Registered
364 Posts
bluegto04 said:
Ya, I'm thinking your Div O wouldn't like that too much... :eek:

There are lots of Driver's Education events at VIR which isn't too far from you. Big fun and legal.

Here is a great listing of DEs in the Southeast:
http://www.trackschedule.com/sched.html
:cheers:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Subdriver, do you race professionally? Is that Corvette yours? I have always wanted to race professionally. A Corvette would be the ultimate car.

Chris

Edit: Was viewing some videos from your homepage, and saw subdriver on the window. Looks like you are the driver. Thats totally awesome dude! :cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
bluegto04 said:
Subdriver, do you race professionally? Is that Corvette yours? I have always wanted to race professionally. A Corvette would be the ultimate car.

Chris

Edit: Was viewing some videos from your homepage, and saw subdriver on the window. Looks like you are the driver. Thats totally awesome dude! :cheers
Looks like you figured it out. Professionally is a bit strong. SCCA T1 class is "amateur" though the top five or so at the SCCA National Championship Runoffs are essentially professionals. I finished 6th my rookie year in 2003. Last year I failed to qualify due to a harmonic balancer falling off and started last, 31 of 31 and finished 16th. Good times.
The winner has been John Heinricy for the last four years. His day job is GM Vice President of something that equates to Corvette test driver. :lol:
Seriously nice guy and also seriously talented. I'm just happy to be out there on my weekends off with guys like that.

Car is actually in overhaul down your way (Norfolk) right now with my brother-in-law as I go through a six month training program.

Racing was something I've wanted to do for twenty plus years and when I got onto shore duty at Recruiting Command in Memphis in late 2002, I just did it. Wait... isn't that a commercial? :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Got orders to Groton, CT Sub Base. Report date is June 23. If I am ever in you area, maybe you can set me up and get me started. :rofl: :cool

Edit: Watched the SCCA World Challenge GT, maybe the #5 GTO will win one some day.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Groton and Bangor are about as far apart as two CONUS Sub ports can be. Have fun up there. Can be really nice in the summer. Never been there in the winter fortunately.

Wish I could've seen the SCCA WC race today, but was taking a fluids final. I'm thinking you had a better time. :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bangor is definately far away. I was once stationed at NAS Whidby Island with VAQ-129. Washington state is too wet for me, I could never keep my Trans Am clean.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts