Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a 10 bolt axle, mine was damaged according to the shop doing my rearend.
Its a 28 spline regular Pontiac 10 bolt shaft. Anyone got one they can ship me?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi, What year housing ? 64-67 are the same, but in 68-72 the housing and axles increased in length 1/2 inch per side.

·
Super Moderator
5,789 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got them, but if they're where I think they are it's going to take some digging and I won't be able to get to them until I get the Beast put back together and running so I can move it. I've got the head back, waiting on a new set of valve stem seals which will either arrive tomorrow afternoon or early next week.

Don't let me forget...

How much do you think the axle is worth?

Bear

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I paid $35 for one about 20 years ago for my '65 at a wrecking yard. The last one I bought 10 years ago from The Goat Farm was $175, but I had to have it. Also, all due respect JustAl, the '64 and '65 axles are the same, and the '66 up are longer by 1/2" or so. The one inch wider rear end was a '66 model year introduction. The '69 2.56 rear end assembly I swapped in to my '67 GTO is identical in every way dimensionally to the original rear end....one inch wider than the '65!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wrecking yard here wants 20 but I won't have time to get out and pull one this week, plus i was afraid I would get the wrong one. Rock auto has then new for 95 if anyone needs a new one.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
If it's '66-'70, it's the right one. For $20, you can't afford NOT to take the time and grab it. Probably better quality than a new unit, as well. And at $20, the pricing is 20 years behind the curve!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what they charge for axle shafts if they have one, I still have to go out in the yard and find a car that will have the right one.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went ahead and ordered one from rockauto for 94 bucks plus 24 s&h. Its the cheapest I could find one anywhere. Hopefully its the right one...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts