Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new high torque starter for my 64... engine is either the 389 or 400... was built by prev owner. am looking at a Powermaster 9510 XS starter, but want to see what others think. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
6,367 Posts
RobbMc. Best there is. Fully "clockable" so you can rotate the body and put the solenoid as far as possible away from heat sources. He also stands behind his products really well.

I've got his starter, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filters on my 69.

Bear

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
132 Posts
I'm not sure if it fits on a '64 but I put an IHI Hi-Torque starter (1.3HP one...they also have a 1.9HP version) on my '67 with 400ci. Bought it from Ames. I was having starting issues when the engine was warm/hot....changed the "S" wire from the ignition switch, put in a relay under hood to have straight power from battery, changed + and - cables to starter (they were corroded) and added a heat shield blanket around starter. Haven't had any issues since then. And with the relay, it's easier to connect a starter button to check piston compression....no need to crawl under care to connect ;)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I use Robb MC like Bear. The fully clickable feature is so easy,..and I drop my solenoid down in the cooling air stream!...they are quality products and when you call guess who answers! Robb, the engineers who design the stuff and own the company.

a replacement solenoid is $25.....can’t beat it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I run that 9510 XS. It has not given me any problems and is also fully clockable. 166 tooth. There are two versions. One that bolts to the block and one that bolts to the transmission. 9510XS is the one that bolts to the block. I thought it was reasonably priced. I did not know about ROBBMC otherwise I would have tried them out. I like smaller operations like that run buy folks who are passionate about the tech and knowledgeable about the product.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm not sure if it fits on a '64 but I put an IHI Hi-Torque starter (1.3HP one...they also have a 1.9HP version) on my '67 with 400ci. Bought it from Ames. I was having starting issues when the engine was warm/hot....changed the "S" wire from the ignition switch, put in a relay under hood to have straight power from battery, changed + and - cables to starter (they were corroded) and added a heat shield blanket around starter. Haven't had any issues since then. And with the relay, it's easier to connect a starter button to check piston compression....no need to crawl under care to connect ;)
I bought the sameone called the manufacturer of the ones Ames sells theyre $20 less from them and the shipping was less because theyre in Ca and Ames is in NH. Im in Ca

·
Registered
1967 400ci/TH400
132 Posts
I bought the sameone called the manufacturer of the ones Ames sells theyre $20 less from them and the shipping was less because theyre in Ca and Ames is in NH. Im in Ca
Good to know, as I'm in the Bay Area. Good luck with the install and fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts