Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on this site converted an auto tranny to a 4 or 5 speed? I’m seriously thinking about this for two reasons. 1) It would be more enjoyable to drive with additional control and improved gas mileage and 2) I’m fed up with consistent transmission leaks ever since the year I bought this vehicle (1979) in spite of a complete rebuild (20 years ago) and whatever gaskets I replace.

Currently this 67 GTO has a Turbo 400 auto tranny with the shifter on the tree from the factory. Many folks on this forum would say “keep it original”, but this is not a priority for me right now. I’m very serious about making this conversation and ready to drop the money on this project. This is a project I chose to do on my own. I believe the transmission swap and drilling through the floor board for the shifter should not be too much difficulty. However; the clutch install may be somewhat challenging. I’ve heard (and researched) that there are hydraulic clutches available that make an install almost painless. Anyone have input on this?

Thanks in advanced.
Jim

·
Registered
120 Posts
z bar mount

Man clutch not that big of a deal to install although hyd would be nice but costly ck to see if the Z bar frame mount is in place if not they are available and you can weld it in I just swapped mine back to fact 4 speed from t-400 just took a little time to get all pieces together but install is a breeze you can convert your auto pedal to 4 speed if you decide to go that way my only issue is figuring out the position of the tunnel cover has had the floor pan replaced with auto hole and shifter position is critical with a console any question let me know went with alum flywheel had clutch built by local shop .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts