Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Hooker Super Comp headers for my 1967 GTO that are suppose to fit but I cannot for the life of me find the room for them. Passenger side the top of the A arm and oil filter hit and driver's side there is zero room between where the header goes and the steering shaft. Do I need to alter my motor mounts? The engine is still in the car, do I need to pull the engine and then install the headers first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has accomplished this feat!!!

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
I have Hooker Super Comp headers for my 1967 GTO that are suppose to fit but I cannot for the life of me find the room for them. Passenger side the top of the A arm and oil filter hit and driver's side there is zero room between where the header goes and the steering shaft. Do I need to alter my motor mounts? The engine is still in the car, do I need to pull the engine and then install the headers first. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has accomplished this feat!!!
Headers are a pain in the a**,I went with heedman shorties on my 72,You may want to try to lift the engine slightly. Watch the distributor and fan .The oil filter housing comes off but will you have enough room to get it back on with the header in place.Napa has the gasket for the oil filter housing

·
Registered
444 Posts
Resold the new headers I bought after rebuilding my engine.... and bought ram air manifolds instead. Probably one of my better decisions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headers are a pain in the a**,I went with heedman shorties on my 72,You may want to try to lift the engine slightly. Watch the distributor and fan .The oil filter housing comes off but will you have enough room to get it back on with the header in place.Napa has the gasket for the oil filter housing
Right now we are under house arrest due to the virus so going to Napa is out of the question for the next 3 weeks. However I did manage to move the engine over towards the passenger side and back towards the fire wall about a inch and a half. Headers still don't want to fit but what a difference in space. I hate to do this but with a few strategically placed dents in three of the header pipes I think it will work. Thanks again for the response

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Resold the new headers I bought after rebuilding my engine.... and bought ram air manifolds instead. Probably one of my better decisions.
Thanks for the response, if I can't get my headers to fit after all the trouble I'm going to go through, Ram air manifolds will be the route I will be taking as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have not tried installation of all the brands available now, but have never known anyone to get 4 tube headers installed on an old Pontiac without making lots of modifications to the headers and/or car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your reply, you got that right!! What was going to be a simple project is now a quest! I unfortunately have the attitude that I refuse to let these headers beat me, come hell or high water they will get installed! The way things are going though it will probably be high water first!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Unless you have a radical cam, the RA manifolds are the way to go. When I was running a large cam in my 400, going from the RA manifolds to good 4-tube headers, I picked up 0.35 seconds and 4 mph on my quarter mile time. With a smaller cam and the RA manifolds I ran 12.65 at 109. Granted the car was set up well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the reply Old Man Taylor, Wow! 12.65 is flying! I recently just purchased a set of 670 heads and a set of hooker super comp. Headers so im really counting on a performance improvement. Pretty sure im still a long way from 12's yet.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Thanks for the reply Old Man Taylor, Wow! 12.65 is flying! I recently just purchased a set of 670 heads and a set of hooker super comp. Headers so im really counting on a performance improvement. Pretty sure im still a long way from 12's yet.
I didn't start there. It was a journey. The key is attention to detail and good machining.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply JS Goatman I really like the looks of yours as well !! Just got my headers on, only took a couple of weeks and I'm still not done! I have to relocate the proportioning valve somewhere and find a new route for the brake lines. No way but the hard way right:rolleyes:?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts