Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm picking up a 1964 Pontiac lemans has the orginal 6 & tranny . Also comes with a 389 & tranny rebuildable , Or i was thinking pro streeting it , I'm kinda up in the air right now. Could use some advise . Frame is solid , it no longer has the bench seat.The second owner dropped some buckets in it . All & All it's solid.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
If you are looking at this as an investment, restore it to original.
Otherwise, have fun and do what you want with it.
just my opinion.
Russ

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
If you are looking at this as an investment, restore it to original.
Otherwise, have fun and do what you want with it.
just my opinion.
Russ
:agree:agree:agree Make yourself happy first. It's your money and your car...

If you want to go original, well, then it's just a matter of finding the right parts and doing the work. If you want to build it with some "cojones" :D well, we can help with that...:cheers

Bear

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to run down to my local chassis shop & have a chat ,It's right around the corner & see if it's worth it. My x Bro in law ( still in good terms) owns a body shop so paint & the lower rear q's are not a problem. Just don't know if i want to start cutting up a 64 lemans , if ya know what i mean.
Joe

·
Registered
173 Posts
One can build a SERIOUS street machine without 'cutting up" the car. Most of the performance parts available are intended for installation in unmodified cars. If all the stuff is "bolt-in", you won't harm the integrity of the car.

Be sure you're aware, there is no "need" for anything but a Pontiac V8 today. ALL the "goodies" for a hotrod engine are readily available, and easily puts the Pontiac "out of reach" of a small block, and it takes a WHOLE LOT of "big block" to make the kind of streetable power the Pontiac can make. Many will "bend your ear" to put a Chevy in it. They're "scared" of the Pontiac when "done right". 600 HP on 93 is a "slam dunk" today. And they are as or MORE reliable than an equal BBC.

A LeMans or Tempest doesn't command the resale value GTO does.

FWIW

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys i appreciate it. I talked to the guys at the race shop today.
Going with a mini tub & will retain the rear seat . Going to have the 389 & tranny rebuilt .
Joe

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
welcome to the herd, sounds like it should be a fun project. you will be able to get some meats in there with the mini tub, and that 389 will give it plenty of get up and go. I am sure Mr. P-body can lay out a good plan for that motor, don't let a chevy guy pick your parts....:cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
welcome to the herd, sounds like it should be a fun project. you will be able to get some meats in there with the mini tub, and that 389 will give it plenty of get up and go. I am sure Mr. P-body can lay out a good plan for that motor, don't let a chevy guy pick your parts....:cheers
:agree:agree:agree It'd be well worth your while to double-check whatever the race shop recommends with Mr. P-Body and the other folks here.

Bear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts