Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I am thinking of purchasing an 04 GTO 05/06 not in my budget. It will replace my 2000 1500 silverado. Is there anyone that has had any luck with getting a child seat in the back for a two year old. Its not my family vehicle wife has a honda pilot but, I want to know if I had to I can her put the little one in the back. It seems pretty roomy back there. Decisions Decisions my truck has the 5.3 and it too has balls with nice mods but I miss the sports car feel. Any feedback is appreciated... thx

·
Registered
154 Posts
I fit one in the back of my Firehawk, so I'm sure the GTO would be no problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A car seat will fit in the back. One of my buddies put his kid's car seat in one at the dealership when he almost bought an 04 when they had the big rebates.
Just remember, don't test drive a GTO unless you are prepared to buy one. Trust me on this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
:agree
A car seat will definitely fit. The back seats are sweet, it is just getting in and out that is the problem. The seats fold up (a little) and the button allows the motor to pull the seat forward (slowly) but really getting in and out is a royal pain. You have to fold over, stick your leg in and pull. Once in it is cool.
Not really a family wagon though.
You are trading some things for driving pleasure. You will love every day you get to drive it, really.
Good luck.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bullseye,

I made the sad mistake of test driving one which I regret considerably because I am in love. I have owned 6 camaros in the past so I am not new to muscle but this car is special. I just hope that an 04 is not completely difference as far as raw power than the 05 I drove. I know its a different block and 50hp (which is a lot) but, I figure some simple mods will get me closer to 400hp. Anyone interested and a nice chevy silverado:)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have an 18 month old and here is the best way to get the seat in the car:

1. Slide the passanger seat all the way up (slow process) then have someone (my other daughter) flip the latch and fold the passenger seat all the way forward.

2. Take your babyseat and enter the DRIVER's side door and slip it through the middle of the two front seats. Buckle it down and you're good to go.

We used to rotate one seat between two cars but after contorting my body a few times to get the seat back there, I just bought a second seat which always stays in the back. My kid hops in and I reach back and buckle her in, fairly easy process and they have plenty of leg room. In my Mustang, my kid could kick the back of the passenger seat even when it was slid up pretty far.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I'm an old guy now, and just started empty nesting last fall.

Remembering back though, to my car seat days, and thinking about having to deal with that in the GTO, my advice would be to think long and hard about it before doing it.

In my opinion, what seems do-able now will soon grow to be an annoyance, every time you have to wait for the sloooooooow seat to move forward, and leaning back in to secure the child, then having to reverse the process when you reach your destination. Just my 2 cents, but I would hate for you to spend this much money and come to regret it later.

Sometimes, you just need to bit the bullet and be somewhat more utilitarian I'm afraid. Of course, it's ultimately your call. Just make sure to go through the process a few times before making up your mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The back seat room was one of the main reasons for getting the GTO. I have a seat that stays in the car. I keep it behind the drivers seat, so that I have the other side available for the occasional lunch passengers. It is kind of a pain to get my little girl in, but not too bad. Once in, there is plenty of room for she and I.

Regards,

Gary

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feeback guys keep em coming. I am eyeing an 04 at a local dealer in the 21k range but of course have to sell my truck first. Still deciding but I can tell you it was a mistake going to test drive one of course I would like to feel an 04's torque can anyone elaborate I know that the Ls2 probably feels like a different animal but does the ls1 feel real nice as well. thanks....

·
Registered
141 Posts
No kids in car seats but kids to put in the back seat still. I know how slow these seats are, but I'm not driving a get away car so if it takes another 30-45 seconds to get started I don't care. (I can always make that up during the trip!) If you don't get frustrated easily and you're not putting her back there everyday then get the car and you will never regret it. I've not driven an 05 to compare to my 04, but I'm very satisfied with it. Its the most powerful car I've owned. Ride is nice, quality is excellent. I really wouldn't think that you'll miss the 50 ponies. It seems the LS1 is more suited to engine mods anyways.
Gotta love Chevy trucks! Wife's Suburban (2000) has 140k and runs nearly the same as when new, gets about the same mileage as I do too.

·
Registered
228 Posts
That was a big selling point with my wife. Once she saw that the car seat fit just fine, she was sold and I got the nod. Yeah, it is a PITA to get the kid in and out, but I don't mind 'cause I love this car. It's not a four door family sedan so I don't expect it to be one. Some people my wife works for told her that we shouldn't have bought that car cause we have a kid. :willy: Idiots! Just cause you have kids doesn't mean you have to own a minivan. I swore that I would never buy one. No offense to minivan owners, but they're not for me. Anyways, I have my Caprice as my family car anyways, so that fixes that problem. :) Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a nice deluxe carseat in my GTO. It hugs it like it will hug you. Put your weight on the seat when tightning the straps and it will not move. My 17 month old loves it when I'm in third crusing and I punch the gas. He laughs every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.