Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1971 Pontiac Lemans 10 bolt 8.2 rear end, im looking at bying this posi
im looking for 3.23 ratio

Auburn Gear High Performance Series Differentials 5420114 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Can someone help me find the correct ring and pinion for my application from summit, i really dont trust the help line there as they made mistakes with me in the past, i find the forums are the best tech help as i hoping to get hands on info.
Any help would be much appreciated.
looking for a reasonably priced ring and pinion.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There are no repro Pontiac 8.2 3.23 gear sets. No repro 3.08's or 2.93's, either.

Over the last 2 decades, have pro setup, as well as shipped out nearly 2 dozen sets of nice used 3.23 Pontiac 8.2 gears. Have at least one set of '64-69's, may have a '70-72 set. looking at $165 a set, nice used, + actual ship.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
There are no aftermarket 8.2 Pontiac 2.93-3.08-3.23 gear set... never have been. It wasn't till a few years ago, that one could get the highest aftermarket Pontiac 8.2 gears avail...the 3.36's.

What Randy's is offering is an expensive kit which includes a machined sleeve to drive in, then to adapt to the smaller front pinion bearing used with the Chevy 8.2 pinion. I first experimented with installing 8.2 Chevy gears (3.36's) into a Pontiac 8.2 10 bolt in the early 90's with an old friend who was changing from a close ratio Muncie and 3.90's to a wide ratio and wanted 3.36 gears.

In order to use the 8.2 Chevy ring and pinion set, one also uses the 8.2 Chevys smaller front pinion bearing and uses the 25 spline Chevy 8.2 pinion flange. Last with an original Pontiac 3R driveshaft, have to run an adaptor Ujoint to adapt down to the small Chevy Ujoint. It's a Mickey Mouse setup...but Randy's makes a considerable sale. Their Chebby 8.2 pinion flange, alone, runs $140, have no idea what they get out of the total kit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts