Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new dakota gauge set and got everything working (except) my gas gauge. My sending unit was working before so need to figure where the problem lies. I thought I wired it correctly but was not working, so in order not to pull the dash. I cut the tan wire below the dash and tied it into the control box, But nothing.So lets say I disconnect it from the control box. Should it ohm by touching one lead to the tan wire and the other to any ground?

·
Registered
352 Posts
To use the dakota gas gauge you have to run the signal wire AND ground together into the box. The dakota gives you a ground to use. This makes it a 2 wire setup instead of 1.

Also you have to calibrate the gas gauge. They have different value sets from different manufacturers to choose from. The default setting may have a set of ohm values that is out of range for ur sending unit.

I usually do the manual setup. This is where you test the sending unit for ohms (ohm meter positive to signal wire, negative to the sending unit housing). Find full ohms and find empty ohms. Then do the math and input empty, 1/3 of a tank, 2/3 of a tank, and full tank resistance values when it prompts you. This is the sure fire way to make sure it’s accurate.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To use the dakota gas gauge you have to run the signal wire AND ground together into the box. The dakota gives you a ground to use. This makes it a 2 wire setup instead of 1.

Also you have to calibrate the gas gauge. They have different value sets from different manufacturers to choose from. The default setting may have a set of ohm values that is out of range for ur sending unit.

I usually do the manual setup. This is where you test the sending unit for ohms (ohm meter positive to signal wire, negative to the sending unit housing). Find full ohms and find empty ohms. Then do the math and input empty, 1/3 of a tank, 2/3 of a tank, and full tank resistance values when it prompts you. This is the sure fire way to make sure it’s accurate.
So since I cannot get to the ground that was originally attached to my old gauge. Should I install a ground from my sending unit to the box? I will try to set it to the factory ohm on the box. If no worky, then I will go the manual route.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes you need to hook up a wire directly from the sending unit ground wire and run it to the dakota box with the signal wire. Its best practice to twist the 2 around each other as it insulates it from interference and run them up into the car to the dakota box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts