Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've gotten all the bolts loose all the way to the first knuckle on the steering box, the column from inside the car moves easily. except for that whenever i pull on the steering column inside the car to remove it, it seems to be attached to the shaft that extends into the engine compartment.the flange that hooks up w/ the steering box will not go around the headers and big bolt near the upper control arm. What am i missing?????? thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
The steering column is one piece to the ragjoint. You need to unbolt the 2 bolts at the ragjoint, pull the cover and clamp at the firewall on the inside, remove the nuts holding the column to the dash support, and the column then slips out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, the only problem i have is that the rag joint gets caught between my headers and a control arm bolt that hits the shaft. i'll figure it out sooner or later!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pulling the header in my car is the last option, those bad boys are tight and cramped for room, i took off the rag joint last night, and loosened the steering box and i got it.now i just have to cut a relief cut in the floorboard bracket( thin one) to get the rag joint through it, w/out having to tear into the clutch assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
removing column

I'm having the same issue on my 67 w/headers, I don't see how the stg-box being lose will make more room for the rag joint and shaft to bypass the headers and bolt for camber bracket. My lower column bearing is bad and needs r/r...

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I just did this, I losened the holding screw and tapped the top half of the rag joint off the steering rod and left it attached to the steering box. Hadda do the column bottom bearing while I was replacing the firewall plate.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The rag joint does indeed come off the shaft. You can't just loosen the retaining bolt (clamp), the bolt has to come out as it lives in a notch at the bottom of the shaft. Almost "too easy" sometimes to make sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts