Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my GTO as my daily driver and this morning when I started her up the A/C was wide open from last Friday's drive. I went to turn down the fan speed and the fan immediately stopped blowing air. I played around with it but here is what it does no matter if my left control is on recirculation setting or blow out the front vents. If I put the fan on any setting but max nothing blows. If it is on max the bottom a/c / defrost button will not turn on when depressed. If it is on any setting besides the max fan setting the a/c / defrost button turns on and lights up amber even though no air is being blown.

My inital guess would be some sort of short in the fan switch between its speed and the a/c defrost push button but that's just a shot in the dark guess. I'll have to take things appart when I get home this evening, err why couldn't it have happened on Friday when I had the whole weekend to look at it.

I'm hoping someone else may have seen or dealt with this issue or has some thoughts on what it could be. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
My guess would be the blower motor resistor.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TY. I did some reading during lunch elsewhere for other GM cars and that seems to be a common cause with those symptoms which backs up your suggestion. I'll have to get the part ordered and start the teardown. I'll probably swap out the blower motor while I'm at it just in case while I have things apart.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Changing the resistor is fairly simple. I doubt that there is a need to swap out the blower itself. From the manual:

Remove the RH lower instrument panel insulator panel.
Disconnect the wiring harness electrical connector (2) from the blower motor resistor (4).
Remove the resistor retaining screws (3).
Remove the blower motor resistor from the HVAC unit (1).

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
You're welcome! I thought that would be the problem. Never had that happen to my GTO but I've come across that on several other vehicles in the past.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts