Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here but a avid car lover of all sorts. I've came across a 68 GTO that I possibly can get on trade and I'm just trying to see what you guys what think it's valued at. The guy that has it has seemed to do some research on the car and says it's has a numbers matching 400 350hp motor and matching auto trans. 242 code GTO. A few changes has been made like seats, shifter and other odds and ends. Everything will need work but the motor is suppose to be able to start as it sits. It looks as if it has some rust through on the rockers but I haven't seen the car in person I only have one picture at this point. Claims some rust behind pedals and pinhole size holes in trunk. Small dent on roof. I know this car needs a lot of work but just trying to figure out what kinda value someone that knows these cars would give it before I make any decisions and I know it's extremely hard to evaluate a car with one picture but thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Truly a rust bucket and missing a lot of pieces. Probably worth $2000 on a good day and expect to sink about 18K or more if you can do all the work yourself. If you gotta pay someone else to do your work, then it might cost you 25-50K depending on how original you want to restore it and you would be upside down when you went to sell it.

Best to pass and simply buy a turn key car for less if restoring is your aim.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with PontiacJim on price. You could buy this for a parts car and get yourself one in far better shape that's running. It's probably worth more parted out after you bought it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well this one is suppose to be running. But I live about 4 hours away from it and haven't confirmed it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Base horse 400 4bbl GTO's from '68-70 were advertised @ 350 HP.

'68 auto GTO projects like the one above in VA, just don't make a lot of sense. Of course one pic doesn't show the entire story, if I was much closer would look it over real close, might make decent fender and door donor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I've talked to the guy and he is suppose to take better pictures of the whole car and send to me. But I haven't received them yet.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I concur with these gents: it's a parts car....a solid buy at around 2k. Worth more in parts. It would cost at least twice the amount of money it would be worth to restore it.....you'd have 60k plus invested in a 25-30k car. I personally would have zero interest in such a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts