Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I'm a new member from NY and I'm interested in purchasing a GTO I came across. I want some quick input as to what it might be worth since I'm a Chevelle guy and not well versed with Goats. Here are the details:

1970 GTO hardtop, original 400/TH400 car, 242 VIN. It is Canadian built so not only can you get the paperwork from PHS but you could also get it from GM of Canada. The owner has neither. The car should have come with a 10-bolt but currently has a 4.10 12-bolt which he says came out of another GTO (Chevy 12-bolt, not the Olds version). He's unsure if the tranny is original but it is a TH400. The car currently has a NOM 400 in it but it doesn't come with the car. Solid trunk/floors/frame and I believe it has the original quarters/spatter paint in the trunk. Disc brakes/F41 suspension still present. The current owner bought the car in 1979 and it has been local since new.

Atoll blue paint, black vinyl top (which has since been removed) and blue bucket seat interior. The car used to have sidepipes on it so it has a few holes drilled into the rockers which will need to be fixed but can be covered up by the rocker panel molding. The sidepipes were the reason the car has the incorrect rear valence without the cutouts. Has refurbished 15" rally II wheels on it with good rubber. The main issue aside from not having an engine is that it is mostly apart as it was disassembled for paint and never put back together. The owner claims he has every single piece in storage. The paint looks nice but is not a quality job. There is overspray in the wheel wells, on the frame, etc. and the window felts have been painted over. It also has some dings that were not fixed prior to paint.

It has some pretty cool options such as power windows, AC, buckets/console, rear window defrost, power drivers seat, etc.

I know the interior pic isn't that great but it has a new carpet but the rest is original. The headliner is in good shape as well as the passenger/rear seat but the drivers seat has some tearing and the sail panels/rear shelf needs to be reupholstered. The dash pad is also cracked and needs to be replaced.

So what's it worth? :confused

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
so it's a non running no engine car? I actually have a virgin 70' 400 long block i may be putting up for sale. As to the value non running, non driving, needs re-assembly, paint and body flaws, probably in the 6-9K range depending how good it looked in person. Better take a magnet to the body if they did'nt bother to remove or mask the felts, that would make me wonder what other corners they cut, also check the Roof pillars and rear window channels from inside the trunk if you can vinyl top cars were notorious for rust-out underneath. Rivets on the tag look like they are rusting out from behind.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
5K tops. Very few buyers for this car IMO (most want a complete car or one they can just drop a motor in) This car will require much more than that.

I'm dig'n the "wood" console lol :rofl:. And when i say 5 tops i say start at 3K. Just my 2 cents, others may see more "value" in this but I say hold off unless you can score it cheap.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
5K tops. Very few buyers for this car IMO (most want a complete car or one they can just drop a motor in) This car will require much more than that.

I'm dig'n the "wood" console lol :rofl:. And when i say 5 tops i say start at 3K. Just my 2 cents, others may see more "value" in this but I say hold off unless you can score it cheap.
:agree

I was thinking $4K-$5K,

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
The guy wants $7,500... very slightly negotiable.
Love the lumber-yard console.... :rofl:

For that price, I'd say no and then walk away and let it cook awhile. If he comes to his sense later, fine. But that's a long way from being the "only" GTO out there, especially the engine-less kind.

Bear

·
Former Super Moderator
9,919 Posts
I was originally a chevelle guy too and when I wanted to buy a Muscle car I really wanted a `69 chevelle SS 396 4 speed car. But my late wife talked me into checking out the `65 GTOs. And I'm glad I did!! The God Father of all Muscle cars!! Took me 2 years to find the `65 I wanted, had to be a Tri-Power car and had to be a 4 speed car. Never regretted not buying the SS. Chevy's are a dime a dozen, but Pontiac's are more rare IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies! I am shocked at how low this car is being valued at compared to an equivalent 70 Chevelle SS. I guess it's a good thing I came on here and asked. I do understand that it is a project which needs a lot of work so it needs to be bought right.

On another note, I know that a 70 GTO doesn't really need any paperwork to prove it's heritage given the 242 VIN/trim tag and PHS reports are readily available but does the Canadian build add any value compared to an equivalent U.S. built GTO?

I was originally a chevelle guy too and when I wanted to buy a Muscle car I really wanted a `69 chevelle SS 396 4 speed car. But my late wife talked me into checking out the `65 GTOs. And I'm glad I did!! The God Father of all Muscle cars!! Took me 2 years to find the `65 I wanted, had to be a Tri-Power car and had to be a 4 speed car. Never regretted not buying the SS. Chevy's are a dime a dozen, but Pontiac's are more rare IMO.
We are all GM A-body brothers... I would never kick a GTO, 442, or Buick GS out of my driveway! I think they are all cool cars but I am partial to the bowtie because my first car was a 71 Chevelle and I've had quite a few other ones over the years. My dad had a 69 GTO 4-speed back in the mid 70's! He's always talking about that hood tach :D

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
No engine + wrong rear end + apart + paint that will need a redo (more work for you) = 3500-4500, tops. If if were a 4 speed or ram air car, different story.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
On another note, I know that a 70 GTO doesn't really need any paperwork to prove it's heritage given the 242 VIN/trim tag and PHS reports are readily available but does the Canadian build add any value compared to an equivalent U.S. built GTO?
Still wondering if the GM of Canada paperwork adds any kind of premium...

My dad had a 69 GTO 4-speed back in the mid 70's! He's always talking about that hood tach :D
Finally got some pics. My uncle bought the car in 1972 for $1,800!

No engine + wrong rear end + apart + paint that will need a redo (more work for you) = 3500-4500, tops. If if were a 4 speed or ram air car, different story.
I decided to pass on this car after reading through the replies... it just needed too much for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts