Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some good ideas on how to protect the engine and chassis after the body is set in place and the paint starts to fly. Engine/Trans has complete rebuild and sitting in the mounts. Chassis is completely gone thru with fresh powdercoat finish. I dont want any overspray getting on anything. What do you guys recommend. This is my first attempt at a frame off and I want to do it as professional as possible. I'm only a couple weeks out from joining the body to the chassis. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
Wrap it all in plastic wrap. Cut it away when finished. There is also some liquid that body shops use, I don't know the name, it goes on liquid, hardens "grease like" .....after paint you hose it off and it turns to soap suds....Eric:cheers

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
What Eric said. I've used a light coat of LP-3 (an oil used to keep machines from rusting) or Vaseline on already-painted parts or bare metal I didn't want oversprayed. The stuff cleans right off with simple green or good detergent without harming the finish, and overspray won't stick to it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some good ideas guys. I have heard of people using plastic wrap(from the kitchen type) and just wrap the frame with that. Might use a few good rolls of it but who cares. Or I could go to Home Depot and buy plastic wrap on a 3 Ft roll too?? As a side note on the Simple Green product. The U.S. Air Force did extensive testing on that product and would not approve its use on aircraft or aircraft components due to its corrosive properties. I use it in the basement and garage but only on areas that I know I can get 100 percent cleanup. Not around nooks and crannies. Just a FYI on that.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
3m masking film- super thin, super static cling action, masking tape will stick to it, comes on a roll 1 ft tall that unfolds to 2 ft, 4 ft or 8 ft- and a roll of the 8' x 90 feet is only 13 bucks

·
Registered
475 Posts
Looking for some good ideas on how to protect the engine and chassis after the body is set in place and the paint starts to fly. Engine/Trans has complete rebuild and sitting in the mounts. Chassis is completely gone thru with fresh powdercoat finish. I dont want any overspray getting on anything. What do you guys recommend. This is my first attempt at a frame off and I want to do it as professional as possible. I'm only a couple weeks out from joining the body to the chassis. Thanks in advance.
i have never used it but there is a product called liquid masking that you can spray on. then wrap in plastic. should do the trick.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the good ideas. I think I've decided to buy a roll of plastic and start wrapping the frame with that. I plan on doing the suspension, engine and trans.
I know its a bit of a PITA but it will be worth it in the long run. Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
slime is a good product but you better make sure you get it on every square inch. and not just a little thin coat. unless you are on a roto you will have a very hard time getting everything sprayed and an equally hard time getting the stuff off. it really needs a pressure washer to get the slime off good.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WOW 66! That is awesome! Was that a recent build? What color is that? I have ruled out the slime product for overspray protection. I will wrap it. Thanks

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
thats a chevelle i did a couple years ago. its on a scissor lift but before i got the lift i just used jack stands. makes it easier to tape up with the wheels off. high enough to get the bottom of the rockers good but still reach the whole top. being 6'6" makes that easier though. :cool its marina blue

1 - 11 of 11 Posts