Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 66 that's still a shell guy painted it 69 camaro t10 black but never did the firewall or undercarraige frame has been painted and body set back on would it be better to lift the body and paint the underbody and firewall or leave it the way it is and paint it ?gonna try my hand at pait work probrably crazy but gonna try any help would be appreciated..

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
If the front clip is attached I would paint it on the frame, otherwise I would place the body of the car on a rotisserie and first spray with 3M's paintable undercoating sealer, then spray with a 60% gloss black paint.

JMHO

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
:agree....would be best on rotisserie so you could flip it vertical, most (economy) spray guns do not like spraying upside down. If its bolted down and you have to spray it while on you will need to lift it enough that you can get under and spray it from all angles to get the recesses and around frame rails. Mine was Ziebarted when new and after 5 bags of coarse sand got blasted on it to no avail i just rustproofed the few areas it was light and called it good, if its been there for 45 years and i can't blast it off it should last another 45.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I would just put it up on a rack and do it on-car. No reason to pull it off unless you run into rust issues. I'm in Instg8ter's boat with my '67: it was ZIebarted when new (Baltimore built car) and the stuff is still there doing its job. I have yet to do anything under mine...it is unrestored and I've had it about 30 years. It will be around long after I'm gone, I suppose! These cars were not originally heavily painted underneath. You can easily exceed factory finish quality with several cans of Rustoleum. How far you want to restore it is up to you, though.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
GeeTee the ziebart sticker was still on the inside of glovebox door but disintegrated when i wiped it, was able to save and mask around the Round original tire air pressure sticker and save it though.

could not save door stickers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts