Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 GTO automatic.

My radiator blew out and I had it replaced. 4 Months later it blew out again and they replaced it and said the new one was defective. 4 Months after that it blew out again and they said that one was defective too. 4 months after that my TRANSMISSION blew out suddenly (no prior problems) and the trans shop said it was because my trans was full of coolant.
They tested the radiator and said it was good and it must have been due to a previous radiator. Please note I had them and my normal mechanic pressure test without the transcooler.
Now today I got my oil changed and Jiffy Lube said i'm very low on coolant again. (Nothing is leaking) So i'm sure that SOMEHOW my trans fluid and coolant are STILL mixing and it is only a matter of time before I burn up another radiator and transmission.
Every mechanic I take my car to pressure tests the radiator and it passes and inspects whatever else and tells me everything is fine. Which it obviously is not because my coolant is vanishing into the ether...and by ether I mean into my transmission...

Any ideas on what can be causing this mix?

Please help this is causing me thousands...

·
Former Moderator
4,081 Posts
That sucks. The only way for coolant to get in the trans was through the radiator so one of them did it and water in it will take it out. I'm afraid this is one of those times when a cheaper radiator ended up costing more. :( You may want to bite the bullet and look into a Mishimoto or another quality all aluminum one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That sucks. The only way for coolant to get in the trans was through the radiator so one of them did it and water in it will take it out. I'm afraid this is one of those times when a cheaper radiator ended up costing more. :( You may want to bite the bullet and look into a Mishimoto or another quality all aluminum one.
My Mishimoto (2 core) radiator cost $380 and some change plus another $160 for a set of silicone hoses. Pricey, I know, but I don't want to have cooling problems leave me on the side of the road on a hot, humid Houston summer day. Hang in there, hope it all works out for ya. Keep us posted.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts