Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know, I'm in the market for a 68 GTO. I have found a couple of good candidates however they are not in the neighborhood. So I'm hoping for some opinions and checking to see if anyone lives in the areas these cars are located could put eyeballs and ears on them for me and give me the low down.

Oddly - both cars are the same price so that's not in equation.

First is car one, a 68 hardtop located in Trumbull CT currently banana yellow (I kinda like it) has hideaways, his n hers, PS, PB, disc upgrade, 4:11 posi, decent interior, body work is done, engine and tranny rebuilt, looks to be the better of the cars as it sits today.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Then there's car 2
A 68 hardtop in Detroit. This one is intriguing low mile "barn find" currently lime green (UGH - don't get me started) Engine and tranny rebuilt - numbers matching - no hideaways, PS, PB he has 2 rearends for it, has literally PILES of parts that go with it, everything is new, he has all original badges and all replacement badges, all original switches - all new switches original lights and bezels - replacement ligts and bezels ... on and on, all chrome has been re-chromed, blah blah blah He sent me 100 pictures, there's probably 5 grand or more in parts. He says the body work is done, needs paint, interior put back in some finishing touches. Here's where it gets cool though - original color was code E: Aegena Blue Metallic and original interior was Parchment/Ivory. I mean WOW what a nice color combo to restore. I have NEVER even seen a picture of a GTO in that color. So I am really excited about what THIS car could be.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I am a bit juiced (which I try not to do when dealing with cars).
Got the cowl tag and VIN off car 2.

So 1st week of Dec build
Kansas City Plant
Parchment Interior with Aegena Blue Paint

I have never seen a GTO from KC - and I might be head over heels for this car. That and the colors have really got me. Any info I am missing off the data plate? I am far from an expert.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Looking at the picture of the rear of the lime green car has me confused.
The rear body panel looks to be from a 69.
I may be wrong but it don't look anything like the one on my sons 68
Trunk lid not 68 either
Bill

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Looking at the picture of the rear of the lime green car has me confused.
The rear body panel looks to be from a 69.
I may be wrong but it don't look anything like the one on my sons 68
Trunk lid not 68 either
Bill
x2 on this one. The back panel looks to be 1969 with the open holes for the'69 lights. Looks to be welded in. Does the vin tag match the data plate? Does it look altered? That rivet on the lower right of the data plate looks suspicious, but it might just be covered with dirt or just a poor shot of it. Just saying. Everything in the photos says "1968", except for the rear panel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree on that tag rivet. It's not the factory rivet.
Looks like the head of that rivet been hammered on

You wouldn't think somebody would be stupid enough to put a vin tag from a 68 on the shell of a 69 ....sorry....just thinking out loud.

Maybe someone liked the looks of the rear of a 69 and changed out the panel but tailights, trunk lid.....which looks to me from a 69...bumper and brackets would have to be 69 also

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked him about the rear. He's just not a Pontiac guy and had no clue what he was doing when he was ordering parts for the car. It's no longer a contender as the issues seem to be piling up. It's NOT numbers matching it has a 68 YC 400 (big car) so I have no faith in a lot of what he's told me. Not that I think he's purposely trying to pull one over ... I just don't think he knows better. So l just don't want to get into a car that's had this much work done ... Possibly poorly.:banghead:

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
On the rivet.....looks like maybe Bondo in the head of the rivet? Big splotch of it in the bottom middle of the picture over the tag makes me believe this. That may be more worrisome yet.....I would honestly need to see the other rivet and perhaps take a brass toothbrush to the other (pictured) rivet to clean it and inspect it as original.

Not sure on the rear of the car though....I do agree it looks similar to a 69 rear but I'm not as familiar with the 68 with the bumper and tail lights out.

All that said Purebred, I would concentrate on finding the most complete car you can for your money; as you know, the restoration costs can many times exceed the value of the finished project. Knowing this, I find it easier to walk away from some of these "needy orphans" even though I can envision what they would look like complete. :leaving:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On the rivet.....looks like maybe Bondo in the head of the rivet? Big splotch of it in the bottom middle of the picture over the tag makes me believe this. That may be more worrisome yet.....I would honestly need to see the other rivet and perhaps take a brass toothbrush to the other (pictured) rivet to clean it and inspect it as original.

Not sure on the rear of the car though....I do agree it looks similar to a 69 rear but I'm not as familiar with the 68 with the bumper and tail lights out.

All that said Purebred, I would concentrate on finding the most complete car you can for your money; as you know, the restoration costs can many times exceed the value of the finished project. Knowing this, I find it easier to walk away from some of these "needy orphans" even though I can envision what they would look like complete. :leaving:
I agree. I'm looking for one I can drive and enjoy while I'm finishing it. Not something I'll have to re-do a bunch of stuff that was done wrong the first time.

·
Former Moderator
2,895 Posts
It's hard not to get excited when you are looking at buying a GTO! Or any vintage Pontiac for that matter. Not sure if you have your heart set on a GTO but some of the big cars like the Catalina's and Bonnevilles are cool as well as GP's and Firebirds.

A good friend of mine recently found a 65K mile 69 Firebird convertible, all original with a 350/350 and one repaint for $2500. It was sitting in a garage on four flats needing a timing chain. He was there to replace a hot water heater and made the owner an offer. I offered to double his money right there and he refused, unfortunately.

My point is to be patient and the right car will find you. Good luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Alky,

Yea I am set on a Pontiac A-Body car preferably 68 but will do the right 69. Has to be a hardtop, no vinyl, no verts. Prefer A/C car, with 4-speed, PS, PB though automatic would be acceptable.

Since I am not single, every decision in life includes some compromise. I'd personally be happy with a Firebird, maybe a Grand Prix. I'd even be happy with a 66, 67, 70 - 73 GTO .... BUT my beloved wife, whom I truly adore has her heart set on a 68 (maybe 69) and she wants a GTO even though she would settle for the right LeMans or Tempest.

I am happy to oblige her on this because A. I love 68/69 body style the best anyway. And B. SHE WANTS A HOT ROT AND IS NOT GIVING ME GRIEF!!!!
:D

And believe me, I am being very discerning, very patient. That said I'd like to have something I could maybe drive a little this year before the snow hits this winter. :crazy:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New local contender, opinions needed on value.
True 242 69 GTO A/C car PS, PB, Auto, hideaways, ram air scoops and breather, spoiler, hood tach.
The gentleman has owned it for 30 years, second owner, "restored" 25 years ago - it was at that time a barn find. This was not a full resto - but it was a frame off clean up and re-build. It's really been a race car for a lot of this past 25 years, so there was not a desire to restore it so much as to revive and modify it a bit. Heck it has 68 GTO doors, on purpose, he wanted the vent windows. (and I like em too) Has a chevy 12 bolt, 389 bored .30 over to a 400, stiff cam, edelbrock performer with a holly 750 I believe. I have heard it run and it's very mean sounding, very lopey and very intimidating. :reddevil:
Ok I will shut up, here's what she looks like.

Baltimore car, originally Warwick Blue with Parchment vinyl top, black interior.

Would have looked like this from the factory ...

It's a 15 footer for sure, it has flaws in the paint, and he admitted there was a little bondo here and there. There are things it will need right off to kinda tie it up right. (example: hideaways are not functioning - neither is the hood tach)

Around the windows and above the rear bumper is a tad rough, but it does have all new metal (real metal from a donor car from 25 years ago - I could see the work from inside the trunk and it's done right.) You can tell that the roof did have the vinyl and it was not completely prepped prior to paint. I am guessing it would take some work to make her "perfect" body wise. Drivetrain, frame, brakes, steering, suspension all solid. Interior is awesome. Floors and trunk solid and rust free.

He's asking 16. I am thinking 12-14 sounds better to me. Opinions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts