Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I was fortunate to pick up a 69 Judge last week. Old restoration and needs some TLC. I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Here is my build sheets. Any idea why someone would order the 444 tach/speedo instead of the hood tach??

Happy to join you guys!!

ImageUploadedByAG Free1487193827.824697.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1487193887.606236.jpg

ImageUploadedByAG Free1487193910.215315.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
376 Posts
Option 444 does have a panel mounted tachometer but it also gives you the Rally cluster (engine instruments and not warning lights).
The Hood (option 471) could not be ordered with Option 444. So if the owner wanted the hood tach and have Rally gauges they would have to order option 484 (Rally cluster and clock) and Option 471 for the tach (hood).

Option 444= $84.26
Option 471 and option 484= $113.74

I would guess money is why.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have searched and no real answer. I know everyone hates the dreaded oil question. So I'm going to ask anyway.

My motor has been built (forged Eagle bottom end, big cam, etc). It makes around 500 hp guesstimate. So what oil?? Dyno...syn?? Rotella, Vr1?? 10/30, 5/40, 20/50??

Thanks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Flat tappet cam or Hyd roller cam? The flat tappet would require ZDDP in the oil in larger amounts than the roller cam. You can use either synthetic or conventional, if FT and synthetic, might need a tad of ZDDP added. Ax for viscosity, the newer your engine re-build the better an oil like 10W30 would work. If you know the engine builder of this engine, he should know his clearances and what viscosity would work best. Bedsides us Pontiac folks, the Chevelle guys worry about this oil thing, too. To that end, I give you a link on oil from their site. It has great info from an engineer re: too much ZDDP, and much about oil. I had to print it to read it as the screen was blowing out my eyes.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

Hope this helps and keep asking questions---we're here to help.

( I am ancient and was in my 20's when these cars were new...many did not like the hood tach as after slamming the hood a bunch of times, the tach would go way inaccurate or quit.)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts