Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I grabbed a Spice Red M6 with 17 wheels on Monday. I'd been "looking" for something sporty and fun in the 28-33K range for about 6 months.

I gave the GTO brief consideration several months ago (looked on-line and at magazines), but the gas tank/trunk issue, lack of 4 doors, and no sun roof made me look elsewhere without ever seeing a GTO on a dealer lot. Never considered the Mustang. Everybody has one...

Other vehicles I cross shopped included Altima SE-R, Maxima (selling a 97 now..), STI, Legacy GT Spec B, Mazdaspeed 6, Saab 9-3 Aero. The STI was the performance king of the bunch (excluding the GTO in a straight line...), but the STI didn't project the image of a professional 31 year old with its wing and bright blue interior. Spec B was nice and I almost pulled the trigger until I found out about the STI Limited edition coming in 07 with a normal interior, sunroof, and no wing. The 9-3 Aero was close too.

I was in the process of trying to test drive everything, and I created a spreadsheet comparing the different vehicles to rule out a few such as the Maxima which is to portly for its power. So I had a bunch of cars on the spreadsheet at 30K with power to weight ratios at 11._ to 13._. I made the mistake of typing the GTO's digits on the bottom row and 9.3 couldn't get out of my head...

Last Saturday I stop by a local dealer selling both Subi and Pontiac. My intention was to find out when I could get an 07 STI limited, but this time he had 2 GTOs on the lot.

Having never sat in the GTO before, simply sliding in and starting the engine was almost all I needed to buy the car, but my wife and kids were sitting in the Freestyle waiting to go home, and I had to split with no test drive. That made for a terrible night's sleep. The excellent interior and V-8 sound was so different than the turbo 4's I was looking at.

I went back on Monday during lunch and left my 97 Maxima sitting on the lot waiting to listed in Autotrader.

I want to thank this forum for the good info provided here, and hope to give something back in the future.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Grats on the Goat! You'll enjoy the car.

I think that of the cars you listed, the Goat and the limited STi without the wing were the best options, but they are extremely different cars. Which cars did you test drive before testing the GTO?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clueless said:
Grats on the Goat! You'll enjoy the car.

I think that of the cars you listed, the Goat and the limited STi without the wing were the best options, but they are extremely different cars. Which cars did you test drive before testing the GTO?
Just the STI and Legacy Spec B. I had an invoice price deal with Suburu of America, so they were at the front of the list. It's funny that I was trying to get AWD (front as a second choice), 4 doors (2 kids), folding rear seat, and a sunroof. I ended up with none of them and have a 4 seat Vette instead..+ about a 1,000 pounds...

I wanted AWD or FWD because I'm frequently pulling of the road while working to look at 4 sale signs for property on country roads. I'm hoping not to get the GTO stuck. Probably need to be a little more careful when I pull off the road.

When looking at the GTO, I realized the trunk is somewhat usable. Also the back seats are quite large and that made me forget about the 2 extra doors. At the end of the day it was the interior and the power to weight ratio. At $31,303 out the door, nothing comes close.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome aboard.
May not want to let your wife drive the GTO as she might steal it.
I do get custody on the weekends.
Also, the front end is close to the ground so be careful.
Did you check out the Cupholder/triva thread?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.