Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New 2006 Pontiac Torrid Red GTO - 0 Miles - PICS!!!

Hi all, new to forums, but long time lurker while I researched my buying decision. I just had my wife pick up a brand new 2006 Torrid Red GTO fresh off the back of the truck still in plastic wrap about 1.5 hours ago. I am away in MA right now (live in Austin, TX), so I cant wait to get home on July 1st and actually drive the one she picked up (test drove a Torrid Red one here in MA earlier today). I loved the car the second I drove it. In the end I decided on the Auto though as I will be doing quite a bit of traffic driving in it there in Austin. It was the hardest decision I made besides color but the Auto will be fine.

The looks are not the best IMO, but the overall package and value is hands down awesome. From 2004 the look has grown on me and I am sure it will continue to grow on me more, but I still love this car.

Just wanted to introduce myself and start with the changes I want to make with the car.

I already have a car puter system sitting at home to install into this new car. Weird enough I was going to install it in a truck I recently purchased, but chance reared its head and the GTO came about as well, so now I need to get ready to install it in the new car. Should be done the weekend of July 8th. I will post the worklog here as soon as I finish it. Yes it is an Intel Mac Mini install and I know some others here have done similar installs. Cant wait to get that all done as well.

Only question since it is the only component I dont have yet, where do I get a good dash kit for installing a third party stereo. I have looked over at crutchfield and searched through this forum to find an actual kit to order but havent found something. Anyone?

I dont have pics of the car as I wasnt there to make the purchase and do the paperwork, but my wife is supposed to take some pictures of the car tomorrow when the sun comes back up and email me them so I can see it. I will post the new pics then.

Again, nice to meet you guys and gals and hope to learn and contribute well in this community... I am also on some other forums so yes that is me too if it says Mickey21.... Used to own a 97 Mustang GT and was set on getting a new Ford Shelby GT500, but the final word on the specs and cost just isnt going to be worth it after all. Hence my decision to get a GTO instead.

:party: :party: :party:

EDIT: PICTURES!!!

Finally pictures of my new 2006 GTO we got yesterday. My wife just sent me pics of the new car. She's gorgeous (Yes, the wife too)!!! My wife rocks! :)

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mickey21 said:
Hi all, new to forums, but long time lurker while I researched my buying decision. I just had my wife pick up a brand new 2006 Torrid Red GTO fresh off the back of the truck still in plastic wrap about 1.5 hours ago. I am away in MA right now (live in Austin, TX), so I cant wait to get home on July 1st and actually drive the one she picked up (test drove a Torrid Red one here in MA earlier today). I loved the car the second I drove it. In the end I decided on the Auto though as I will be doing quite a bit of traffic driving in it there in Austin. It was the hardest decision I made besides color but the Auto will be fine.

The looks are not the best IMO, but the overall package and value is hands down awesome. From 2004 the look has grown on me and I am sure it will continue to grow on me more, but I still love this car.

Just wanted to introduce myself and start with the changes I want to make with the car.

I already have a car puter system sitting at home to install into this new car. Weird enough I was going to install it in a truck I recently purchased, but chance reared its head and the GTO came about as well, so now I need to get ready to install it in the new car. Should be done the weekend of July 8th. I will post the worklog here as soon as I finish it. Yes it is an Intel Mac Mini install and I know some others here have done similar installs. Cant wait to get that all done as well.

Only question since it is the only component I dont have yet, where do I get a good dash kit for installing a third party stereo. I have looked over at crutchfield and searched through this forum to find an actual kit to order but havent found something. Anyone?

I dont have pics of the car as I wasnt there to make the purchase and do the paperwork, but my wife is supposed to take some pictures of the car tomorrow when the sun comes back up and email me them so I can see it. I will post the new pics then.

Again, nice to meet you guys and gals and hope to learn and contribute well in this community... I am also on some other forums so yes that is me too if it says Mickey21.... Used to own a 97 Mustang GT and was set on getting a new Ford Shelby GT500, but the final word on the specs and cost just isnt going to be worth it after all. Hence my decision to get a GTO instead.

:party: :party: :party:
Congrats on the new purchase, and the willpower to not go insane over the next couple weeks. I had to wait two days to get the wheels I wanted, and was about to go haywire.

I like the looks...and I describe my Goat as an unpretentious bad-ass. Some people here get offended by having their car mistaken for a Grand Am or some other car, but that doesn' t bother me at all. I've never had people just walk up to me and say "I love your car". That's happened a lot, and one lady damn near tripped and fell telling her kids what I was driving.

I like having the people who love cars appreciate it, and the cops with radar that lock on to other cars because it is not an obscene visual display of power.

Disclaimer: My post doesn't apply to those with Bust Me Red paint :rofl:

Gerry

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I'll check that place out (the12volt.com) thanks.

Yeah Austin has it's traffic moments. I also considered that next year my wife and I are going to start on the family and I just didnt want to have to worry about shifting and a baby/toddler in the car.

My will power for patience is KILLING ME even after just the first night. I havent even seen the car. I'm thinking now it would have been better to NOT KNOW... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found a dash kit that works fine with the 2004-2006 GTO stereo systems. You can find this "Metra 99-3528 kit" on ebay like this one:

Kit Link found on Ebay - 12.99

Make sure you look at the optional kits that are also needed to perform the install like mentioned in the description towards the bottom:
"What other parts should I use with this to complete my install?

70-1784 - Wire Harness for Pontiac GTO allows you to plug into your car harness and connect your aftermarket stereo to your speakers without having to rewire the whole car.

40-VW10 - Pontiac GTO Antenna Adapter allows you to convert the European style antenna adapter found in GTO's to standard motorola used in all aftermarket radio's.

PESWIX - Steering wheel interface module, this adapter allows you to retain use of your factory steering wheel remote control like factory. This module is for any radio that has a remote control. The steering wheel controls are optional factory equipment on all Pontiac GTO models.

If you are installing a Pioneer/Sony radio that has a wired remote input please see our PESWIPS instead.

If you are installing a Alpine/Kenwood/JVC that has a wired remote input please see our PESWIAKJ instead
"

Or, you can search the site at www.metraonline.com

The DIN adapter looks pretty stock and curved like the original part is so looks like a good fit. I should know on the 1st of July when I get back home and start looking to putting the parts all together in the car puter.

Which reminds me, someone asked what a car puter was. A car puter aka carputer is a computer that is built into the car to perform various functions of many other systems like (but not limited to): Web Browsing Internet, GPS navigation, ODB code reading and alterations, Performance tuning and feedback (0-60, 1/4 mile, Error codes, G forces, etc), MP3 playback, Cell phone answering and integration, DVD playback, Radio, TV Tuner, etc.... Fun thing to have in a car and very helpful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Damn,,,looks like you snuck in my garage and took pictures of the one I traded for last Sunday..The best color our there...I've had an 00 vette coupe, an 01 ZO6 vette and a 00 vette FRC(hardtop) that were all torch(or in the case of the GTO) torrid red.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What are your opinions on owning the corvettes as well in comparison to this car? Being that you have that perspective.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mickey21 said:
What are your opinions on owning the corvettes as well in comparison to this car? Being that you have that perspective.
Performance wise, comparable to the 00 coupe, ride is much quieter/less rattles/vehicle noise than the coupe, handles a shade sloppier than the coupe. Overall a better everyday car than the coupe.
Comparing to the ZO6 or the FRC, there is no comparison, the hardtop configuration took most of the squeaks/rattles/roadnoise out of the vette and the ZO6 even with me driving and babying the car would bust out a 12,53 in the quarter and my 60' times sucked cause I didn't want to break anything. Overall consider the fixed roof cars a better vehicle,,,I got away from vettes because I have arthritis in my left knee and about half the time I couldn't get in and out of the car,,,much less push in a clutch..The GTO seemed like a close alternative and so far has proved me right, but the above is also why I opted for the automatic.
These are personal opinions gauged by my own experiances.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that comparison. I have never owned or really driven a Corvette to this date but surely driven some relatively fast cars.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Mickey21 said:
Thanks for that comparison. I have never owned or really driven a Corvette to this date but surely driven some relatively fast cars.
No problem,,if I had back the money I've "invested" (ie: wasted) on vehicles in my life I could have retired a lonnnnng time ago.:eek: :eek: :willy: but it has been alot of fun.:party:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mickey21 said:
Hi all, new to forums, but long time lurker while I researched my buying decision. I just had my wife pick up a brand new 2006 Torrid Red GTO fresh off the back of the truck still in plastic wrap about 1.5 hours ago. I am away in MA right now (live in Austin, TX), so I cant wait to get home on July 1st and actually drive the one she picked up (test drove a Torrid Red one here in MA earlier today). I loved the car the second I drove it.
Welcome and congrats! Nice pics. Is that interior awesome or what! :cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
IMHO from experience w/ other vehicles I would just go with a custom job from a reputable sound/alarm dealer. If you go to a good one (I know there are a few in Boston) you will not be disappointed and the outcome will without a doubt look better, more professional, and more unique than some cheap plastic substitute from a mold. They can match the housing w/ the faux aluminum, black suede (alcantara), or whatever else you'd like..and get a tight fight. If you're going to spend the money then why not do it the right way...this isn't a corrolla, and it isn't a vette either. Because the car is imported from Australia some aftermarket parts will be tough to find...my advice would be go w/ a custom job or contact some of the australian members of the site and see if they may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BostonF4$ said:
IMHO from experience w/ other vehicles I would just go with a custom job from a reputable sound/alarm dealer. If you go to a good one (I know there are a few in Boston) you will not be disappointed and the outcome will without a doubt look better, more professional, and more unique than some cheap plastic substitute from a mold. They can match the housing w/ the faux aluminum, black suede (alcantara), or whatever else you'd like..and get a tight fight. If you're going to spend the money then why not do it the right way...this isn't a corrolla, and it isn't a vette either. Because the car is imported from Australia some aftermarket parts will be tough to find...my advice would be go w/ a custom job or contact some of the australian members of the site and see if they may be able to help you out.
But I have all the parts for the job and the 3rd party install kit is a perfect fit and match. Cant see it looking any more stock, except for the fact that I changed the stereo of course. Trust me, the install I am working on is beyond most car stereo installation places (not saying good places cant do this). The installation I am going for is also a bit too custom to leave to someone else to do. Little more computer and a little less stereo if you understand what I mean.

I am used to fab'ing custom mounts and such so this install shouldnt really be a problem. Not to mention a group of us are going to attack the install all at once and get it all done in a day. I will be posting the log to the install later that week (installing on the 8th of July - weekend after I return home to Austin from here outside of Boston)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.