Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all, it's been a while

I'm doing about 65mph (5th gear) in traffic (not too bad though). When to my left I see 2 guys in a cadi in the commute lane. They slowed down and paced me. They both are looking over and smiling, the driver goosed it a couple times. I didn't really think it was a big deal, but something looked odd.
I noticed this on the door:

V_stsv-06.jpg

They both had the smiles of people that were very sure of them selves. Like 2 cats in a chicken farm :eek: No time to think about it, so I down shift to 4th, check my speed, down shift again to 3rd (they wait), I'm doing ~65,so I kinda roll into it (but quickly!).

It looked like we hit it at the same time but by 90 I had him by at least a car length :seeya: I had to slam on my breaks so as to not rear end the car in front of me.

Them being in a lane with NO ONE ahead of them they do the fly by and kept on going in hurry. They still had the paper dealer plates on the car. I just hated to crush this guy's new $75k cadi seeing as how he just got beat by a 2 year old $30k Pontiac :D Oh how I wish the freeway was clear

Anyone else tangle with one?

2008 Cadillac STS-V Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- One supercharger compressor
- 4,371 cc 4.4 liters V8
- Power: 469 HP @ 6,400 rpm; 439 ftlb @ 3,900 rpm
- Weights: curb weight (lbs) 4,233

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Awesome!!!!:cool

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Nice kill, but next years (2009) CTS-V will be a super-charged 6.2 LSA engine rumored to have 550 hp/550 Ft lbs Tq.

That is what kills me, Pontiac needs to step up to the plate!!! I know they are doing there GXP series and all, but dag nabbit!!:lol: There is all this hype about fuel mileage, and they are still building these cars with monster engines!!! i wish the goat returns. I liked my firebirds, but, I really like this GTO deal!!!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Agreed.

I would like to see the trend move back to seeing the intake, block and valves. The clean plastic just doesn't do it for me like seeing some heavy metal....or aluminum.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
Like i've said, I have always liked pontiac cars and at one point was a big dodge ram fan. I just like Pontiacs, and wish they continue with something bad a**! to keep up or go above the competition. If they come out with a retro trans am with more horse power than the goat, I may have to take a look. But, if its heavier than the goat, the extra horses may not be worth the move.

·
formerly NJGoat
1,844 Posts
I thought that was just somebody on the forum saying they wished the LS7 was gonna be the gxp option. Not really sure.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I dislike the plastic they are putting on engines for 4 good reasons.

1 It holds heat in the engine compartment, which is never a good thing unless you live in Canada or Alaska.

2 It makes it harder to service a vehicle, which is probably what the manufacturer wants. It takes time to take that stuff off and put it back on.

3 I like the appearance of a raw engine. I really miss the painted engines of old and this plastic crap is going to break down and 10 years from now will look like heck.

4 It adds uneeded weight and it adds to the price of the vehicle. In that STS's case, I bet it adds $300-$400 for nothing and probably 25lbs up high over the front wheels.

It's just not needed and they need to stop. It makes the car look like a cheap hot wheels car or a model that they did a plastic engine detail on.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
My Car and Driver magazine said that the G8 GXP will have the LS3 in it and be around 420-425 hp. A day late and a dollar short in my opinion considering the Charger SRT8's have been putting that number out for years. I saw a slightly darker then sky blue 08/09? SRT8 at the local dealership and about drove off the road, sharpest 4 door ever in my opinion. A guy at work told me that they had a Super Bee inside on the showroom floor but I didn't want to take the time to go in there and have a bunch of horny Dodge dealers dry hump my leg while trying to rip me off in a GTO trade in for this thing. I think it's just an external badge option with different interior, still same old 6.1 litre.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I was wrong. I guess the blue SRT8 that I saw out front was the Super Bee after all. It's only offered in the one light blue color. They start at 42,000 and go up from there. I "built my own" at the website and it went for 48,500. That's some tall scratch.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I could not agree with you more. Show me the motor!!!:agree

I dislike the plastic they are putting on engines for 4 good reasons.

1 It holds heat in the engine compartment, which is never a good thing unless you live in Canada or Alaska.

2 It makes it harder to service a vehicle, which is probably what the manufacturer wants. It takes time to take that stuff off and put it back on.

3 I like the appearance of a raw engine. I really miss the painted engines of old and this plastic crap is going to break down and 10 years from now will look like heck.

4 It adds uneeded weight and it adds to the price of the vehicle. In that STS's case, I bet it adds $300-$400 for nothing and probably 25lbs up high over the front wheels.

It's just not needed and they need to stop. It makes the car look like a cheap hot wheels car or a model that they did a plastic engine detail on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I work on Mercedes and the engine covers are actually very easy to come off, and honestly with the covers off the engine are ugly to look at. BTW The engine cover off of a SL65 goes for approx. $3000.00

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I work on Mercedes and the engine covers are actually very easy to come off, and honestly with the covers off the engine are ugly to look at. BTW The engine cover off of a SL65 goes for approx. $3000.00
My guess is pretty close then. The engine cover on the SL65 is probably 10 times the cost of one on the Caddy. Actually my guess was from the cost of GTO and C6 covers.

Really they aren't that hard to take off. I took the covers off my GTO a couple times before I just took them off permantly. Same with the C6. It just takes time. If you've never done it before and you have a $3000 engine cover that you might screw up, I think it's going to intimidate you a bit.

I can see the ugly part if you aren't into looking at the mechanicals, but really I like to see all that stuff. They could dress up the valve covers and paint a few things too to add some excitement. Really though I'd gladly pocket $300 or $3000 and see the engine in all it's ugly glory.

·
Registered
137 Posts
My Car and Driver magazine said that the G8 GXP will have the LS3 in it and be around 420-425 hp. A day late and a dollar short in my opinion considering the Charger SRT8's have been putting that number out for years. I saw a slightly darker then sky blue 08/09? SRT8 at the local dealership and about drove off the road, sharpest 4 door ever in my opinion. A guy at work told me that they had a Super Bee inside on the showroom floor but I didn't want to take the time to go in there and have a bunch of horny Dodge dealers dry hump my leg while trying to rip me off in a GTO trade in for this thing. I think it's just an external badge option with different interior, still same old 6.1 litre.
If the LS3 does find it's way into the GXP it will lay waste to a SRT-8.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts