Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install a newly built 461 stroker into my 69 GTO. I have already upgraded the rear end to eaton hardended gears (3.42), moser axles, and wilwood disc brakes.

Before I install the engine I want to make sure the suspension can handle the tremendous amount of torque / hp the new engine will produce.

I have been researching 69 GTO suspension upgrades and I am totally overwhelmed by my choices. Do I even need to upgrade the suspension? My stock suspension components are in outstanding condition. If an upgrade is reccomended what components should I focus on?

-JW

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone had experience with this?

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
Rear upper t& lower control arms & connectors . Forged yoke for driveshaft & rear . New driveshaft in moly , poly trans mount & tie the left side of engine down .

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay I have selected the upper lower control arms and connectors from umi performance. Not sure what you mean by tie the engine down. Do I need to purchase different motor mounts or some sort of engine tie down?

Sent from my LG-P999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
He's talking about some sort of semi-solid connection between the left side of the engine and the frame to help keep the torque/twist from shredding the motor mounts. Some folks use chain, some use beefy turnbuckles... I'm sure there are other solutions as well.

Bear

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I could get away with some more Heavy duty motor mounts. Bear what type of motor mount did you use with your engine I know we have about the same builds.

·
Super Moderator
5,782 Posts
I'm just running good factory style mounts on mine at the present time, but I've got a feeling that they are going to need some "backup" soon :D

I was considering a length of steel cable secured to the driver's side head and looped around the frame rail.

Bear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts