Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my battery cables on my 1970 with one from Ames with the asphalt weave on the outside. After the car ran for a few minutes there was some wisps of smoke coming from this area engine. (not exhaust smoke)
Do these new battery cables with this asphalt weave typically smoke a little when new?(first few times getting hot)
Yes the wire is running through the metal sheath. I painted the metal sheath with black 900 degree caliper paint as it looked a little rough.Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
229 Posts
Not sure what gauge your battery cable is but unless you have a serious short the cables typically would only get marginally warm after starter has been run. If you noticed smoke after the engine has run it is most likely heat from the exhaust manifold transferring heat to the conduit. I would consider the newly painted metal conduit (even though it is high heat paint, some volatiles still have to 'burn off') or the asphalt sheath or combination of both.

PS. I do not know if the conduit was originally painted in 70, my 65 is looked to be cad plated, this helps to reflect heat vs dark paint absorbing heat.

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I have the same cable from the same supplier, and the weave is starting to unravel a bit at the top, but it won't burn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts