Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have gotten to the point where i am going to be putting things back together.

one of the things i was going to do was spray the underside with eastwood rust encapsulating undercoating. this has led me to a question.

what should i keep that stuff off of? i am replacing the shocks, and was going to leave the old ones in place until i got that end of the car painted, so that if anything gets on them, they will just go away, so it won't be a big deal. but what about all those bushings in the rear control arms? at this point, i am not replacing them, but should i protect them from the spray? how about the new body mount bushings i am installing? should i worry about those interacting with the paint? i bought kit s382a from ames performance, and i dont know what they are made of, although i assume they are just rubber.

thanx.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Why not simply email Eastwood? My guess would be it is just like paint and won't affect the bushings, but will crack and flake off after time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have gotten to the point where i am going to be putting things back together.

one of the things i was going to do was spray the underside with eastwood rust encapsulating undercoating. this has led me to a question.

what should i keep that stuff off of? i am replacing the shocks, and was going to leave the old ones in place until i got that end of the car painted, so that if anything gets on them, they will just go away, so it won't be a big deal. but what about all those bushings in the rear control arms? at this point, i am not replacing them, but should i protect them from the spray? how about the new body mount bushings i am installing? should i worry about those interacting with the paint? i bought kit s382a from ames performance, and i dont know what they are made of, although i assume they are just rubber.

thanx.
Do your under coating then replace the body bushings.
That is what I did. I chose the rubber bushings for my 67 for ride quality.

Good advice from Jim about contacting Eastwood concerning the possibility of degrading your bushings with what you intend to use.

You will figure it out.
Hallett Dave

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya know, emailing eastwood never occurred to me. in the past, i have found that i never get a useful answer from those types of emails, with a few notable exceptions (ames performance has useful tech support, as an example).

i just sent email. i'll post the reply.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is the reply. pretty good response time.

Good Morning Steve,

We have not tested this product to necessarily be sprayed over top of rubber bushings. However from my experience with non catalyzed products there are minimal chance of reaction. I would just recommend trying to stay away from any bushings when in doubt. I hope this helps. Feel free to email anytime.

SCOTT CHURCH
Lead Tech Advisor

The Eastwood Company
263 Shoemaker Road
Pottstown, PA 19464
Extension 5409

Visit us at eastwood.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts