Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided today that I wanted to put the bigger cam in..... so I called Texas Speed & Performance (well known in the f-body community) and ordered there "Magic Stick v.3" the specs are as follows...
237/242 @ .050 .603/.609 113lsa
... I talked to them for quite a while discussing the ins and outs of this cam, and the fact that my heads I ordered from GM performance hasn't come in yet. We expect right at or just below 400rwhp with just the cam and with the heads it should be around 430 - 450rwhp! Then I'm going to re-install the nitrous (125 hp shot) and see if I can't crack into the 11's!!! If all goes well, I'll have the cam installed in time for the gtg this Saturday! All of you please wish me luck 'cause I'm installing this in my garage (just like the cam that's in it now) when I get off Thursday evening....... crap what I'm I getting myself into? :cool

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ftlfirefighter said:
I just had a quick mental image of the flying monkeys from the Wizard of Oz at the thought of doing a cam change in the garage! Best Wishes and God's Speed Steve!
Hey now, I've done it before! The car only had 1300 miles on it when I put in the LS6 cam in it...... thanks for the good luck though! :cheers

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MARS said:
By the way how did it feel with the LS6 cam. Was it worth it?
I liked it.... I personally used the .550 I/E 117.5lsa out of a 2002 ZO6, she lost a little bottom end but it came alive after 2800 or so.... I needed to step up cam wise if I am going to run the #'s I want.... :cheers

·
Registered
358 Posts
I am looking into getting a new cam also, so I gotta few ?'s.

1. Will the new cam work with the LS2?
2. Will the new cam work well with the stock heads?
3. What kind of HP increase would you see with stock heads?

Thanks for the info Steve! :cheers

·
Registered
565 Posts
GTODEALER said:
I liked it.... I personally used the .550 I/E 117.5lsa out of a 2002 ZO6, she lost a little bottom end but it came alive after 2800 or so.... I needed to step up cam wise if I am going to run the #'s I want.... :cheers
Omg you changed your avatar :lol:

I was freaked out at first and was thinking "Wait a sec... that's GTODEALER's signature... but that's not his avatar. Wtf is this?"

Don't do it again :willy: :lol:

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RiceEater said:
Omg you changed your avatar :lol:

I was freaked out at first and was thinking "Wait a sec... that's GTODEALER's signature... but that's not his avatar. Wtf is this?"

Don't do it again :willy: :lol:
Hehehehe, I don't like the pic so I'm making another one and giving it to 05GTO and having him add it....

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
gameover said:
I am looking into getting a new cam also, so I gotta few ?'s.

1. Will the new cam work with the LS2?
2. Will the new cam work well with the stock heads?
3. What kind of HP increase would you see with stock heads?

Thanks for the info Steve! :cheers
1. The cam I selected will probably not work with the LS2, with the high compression ratio I'm not sure how they did it (i.e. mill head, etc.). If GM uses the same head as the LS1, they had to change the quench somehow, either A. they used a different piston or B. they changed the head design.... I'm not saying I'm a LS2 guru, cause honestly I'm not, I do know however that this cam BARELY clears with stock heads on an LS1. So, I would call a couple of people and ask first..... then let me know what they say.
2. The cam I chose will make 400+ rwhp with longtubes, cai, underdrive, and a good tune!! This # is on stock heads!!!!!! They designed this cam to deliver maximum performance with the stock cylinder heads in place. And the other good news is if you decide to upgrade heads it gets a hell of a lot better results!
3. More or less see the answer to #2, you should expect 50-60 rwhp gains on average!
I really hope this helps, I spent 1.5 hours pulling the car apart last night. The only thing that I have left to do is pull the rockers, pushrods, balancer, and front cover and then slide the cam out!! Now, I have done this a few times before so count on an average of 10-14 hours to do this the first time. I just got my cam in about 10 minutes ago and I'm so friggin excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:

·
Registered
358 Posts
GTODEALER said:
1. The cam I selected will probably not work with the LS2, with the high compression ratio I'm not sure how they did it (i.e. mill head, etc.). If GM uses the same head as the LS1, they had to change the quench somehow, either A. they used a different piston or B. they changed the head design.... I'm not saying I'm a LS2 guru, cause honestly I'm not, I do know however that this cam BARELY clears with stock heads on an LS1. So, I would call a couple of people and ask first..... then let me know what they say.
2. The cam I chose will make 400+ rwhp with longtubes, cai, underdrive, and a good tune!! This # is on stock heads!!!!!! They designed this cam to deliver maximum performance with the stock cylinder heads in place. And the other good news is if you decide to upgrade heads it gets a hell of a lot better results!
3. More or less see the answer to #2, you should expect 50-60 rwhp gains on average!
I really hope this helps, I spent 1.5 hours pulling the car apart last night. The only thing that I have left to do is pull the rockers, pushrods, balancer, and front cover and then slide the cam out!! Now, I have done this a few times before so count on an average of 10-14 hours to do this the first time. I just got my cam in about 10 minutes ago and I'm so friggin excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :party:
Thanks again for the info Steve. I'll probably look into a different cam.
Good luck with your install! :cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.