Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M6 and wondered about something with respect to break-in procedure:

Does it harm anything to start out in 2nd gear, being that the engine/drivetrain are new???:confused 1st gear seems so short when I'm trying to go easy based upon all of your recs as well as the manual. Please advise...

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think starting out in 2nd gear would cause a little more clutch wear, if anything (as you will prolly slip a little more at the start).

I know what you mean about the first gear being short - it seems like it tops out instantly. But, you'll get used to it and begin to love it as I do :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
SJAndrew said:
I think starting out in 2nd gear would cause a little more clutch wear, if anything (as you will prolly slip a little more at the start).

I know what you mean about the first gear being short - it seems like it tops out instantly. But, you'll get used to it and begin to love it as I do :D
Okay. I was just concerned, to your point, that it winds out so quickly. Since I'm trying to keep the RPMs low (break-in paranoia), I feel like I'm barely moving before I have to go to 2nd. I can feel the patience waning of those behind me in traffic. :rofl:

Ahhhh...screw 'em.
Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts