1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Chev muscle car a Holden underneath

Plenty of grunt ... the Chevrolet Camaro concept car. Photo: Reuters
By Joshua Dowling Herald Motoring Editor, in Detroit January 11, 2006

AUSTRALIAN know-how may revive yet another American icon.

At the Detroit motor show yesterday, Chevrolet revealed a new Camaro but beneath the muscle-car body were the underpinnings for the next generation of Australia's biggest selling car, the Holden Commodore.

Like a giant jigsaw puzzle, car makers are increasingly sharing underbody components in order to save money - and get more models.

They fit different bodies so the cars look different but share parts customers can't see.

Since Holden began exporting the Monaro to the US three years ago (where it is sold as a Pontiac GTO), the Australian outpost has increasingly come to the attention of its parent company, General Motors.

Holden is one of only three GM brands around the world that makes large rear-wheel drive cars, such as the Commodore and Statesman.

Demand from American baby boomers for modern muscle cars sent American executives to Australia looking for help. The Camaro was yesterday labelled a "concept car" but the Herald understands it is close to being confirmed for production.

"We have Australian engineers working on this project right now," Denny Mooney, the American boss of Holden, told the Herald.

With his connections in the US, it is likely the Chevrolet Camaro could be built in North America on the same production line as the next generation Pontiac GTO, which is due in 2008. Given that they share major underbody components, the same US factory could also produce a version of the new Holden Statesman, to be sold as a Buick.

But Mr Mooney stressed that production of the Commodore, Statesman and other models would continue in Australia and, in addition to its local manufacturing commitments, Holden would become the main supplier of technical expertise for GM's large rear-drive cars around the world.

"Holden is responsible for General Motors' global rear-drive architecture," Mr Mooney said. "We own the expertise to assemble and develop it."

Given this new development it is possible Holden could revive the Chevrolet brand in Australia.

Holden is already planning to establish a network of Australian dealers for Cadillacs brand and is also considering the potential of a Chevrolet revival.

Since it is based on the Commodore's underpinnings, the Camaro could easily be built in right-hand drive, according to Holden sources.

The last time Chevrolet was officially sold in Australia was in the 1960s, before GM withdrew the brand to focus on Holden.

The all-new models of the Commodore and Statesman are due on sale in August and September this year.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is so sexy, I cant wait to see the next goat.

·
Registered
689 Posts
b_a_betterperson said:
Think I'll stick with my GTO.
:agree

Now I can see it! Watch every freakin' magazine out there glorify the new Comaro and still say nothing about the GTO. It's the GTO with a diferent body for God sakes! After looking at the pics, I still think the GTO is much nicer inside. The Comaro has that empty open feel. I like the way the interior of GTO wraps around me.

·
Registered
491 Posts
ShAkz05GTO said:
I'd go for the Dodge because I wouldn't want 2 of the same basic car. You know what I mean?
I understand. And if I wanted retro, the Challenger would be my choice over the Mustang. I wouldn't have a car that doesn't know how to keep up with its rivals unless it supercharges its motor first.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
ModBoss2 said:
Are you sure? I don't see how it could be, not for only a 425hp rating. A supercharged 6.1 liter engine, good for only 25hp more than our 6.0s?
You may be right. I thought I read it somewhere, but their website says nothing about it. So it is probable N/A. Sorry about that.

I am officially a dumba$$

OK its the SRT-6 I was thinking about.

·
Registered
491 Posts
dealernut said:
You may be right. I thought I read it somewhere, but their website says nothing about it. So it is probable N/A. Sorry about that.

I am officially a dumba$$

OK its the SRT-6 I was thinking about.

I was hoping that you were wrong ;) ...and that Ford was the only one that needed the forced-induction solution, due to their different approach [small, hi-tech vs ain't broke, don't fix it]:lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Need a favor from you guys, espeacially you guys that have dealer info. There is another forum (a computer techie forum at that), and they are cooing over the Camaro while calling the GTO a flop. Can you guys pop in and school them properly?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=411911&page=1&pp=40

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Justice said:
Need a favor from you guys, espeacially you guys that have dealer info. There is another forum (a computer techie forum at that), and they are cooing over the Camaro while calling the GTO a flop. Can you guys pop in and school them properly?

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=411911&page=1&pp=40

Sorry, bud. As my British friends say, I can't be arsed.

I'm tired of arguing with retards about this car. There's enough of that of at LS1GTO, fer gawdssakes.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Groucho said:
Sorry, bud. As my British friends say, I can't be arsed.

I'm tired of arguing with retards about this car. There's enough of that of at LS1GTO, fer gawdssakes.
No problem.. I was just trying to get people who have the actual info to back up the truth is all I was looking for. Dealernut was saying the sales numbers are high, like 140%, compared to them saying the sales of it are a flop.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's about time! I've been wishing for a 1st Gen retro Camaro for years. However, Ford beat GM to the punch by about 5 years with the retro Stang :rolleyes:

As much as I love the early f-bodies GM will never share Ford's success since the Camaro wasn't ever quite as universally popular as the Camaro. Don't get me wrong, gearheads like us may get worked up over it but I don't feel the mass populus will.

The GTO was a great concept (and I do love mine) but aesthetically it's nothing like the original. Sure, it's a RWD high-powered car but that's where the similarities end.

If the 2009 Camaro hits the streets with the retro ques of the concept car out today I just may need to redeem my GM card savings on one :) Especially if it shares the build quality of my GTO.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I really think its funny how so many people thing the GTO was a flop becasue there were not allot of them sold. They see the total sales #'s in the mid teens and suddenly the car is a peice of crap.

It really amazes me how people with little tiny brains have such big mouths/opinions.

BTW - What the hell type of forum is that?

Justice - I would help out, but I am too lazy/busy to join.

Also throw this statistic at them. The average GTO liespan on a lot is 64 days nationally. That means is sells faster than the mustang, viper, and corvette. But its a flop.....yeah right

Mustang - 94 days
Viper - 126 days
Corvette - 111 days

Bob Lutz said in a GM bulletin today that they are expecting ALL 05 Pontiacs to be completely gone by May or June. He is generally pretty close to his expectations.

Also I guess the Solstice will be a flop as well. They will only sell 14,000 of them this year.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.