Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the owner's manual states to not exceed 55 MPH for the first 500 miles.

I've been driving it pretty easy, but 55 MPH and under is hard. How serious do I need to take this? Is Pontiac being super conservative?

TIA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I say keeping it under 55 is impossible. The main thing is to give all the components time to seat in. I drove as fast as 85 with mine during break in. I'd say lugging the motor would be worse than reving it a little. My car had 115 miles on it when I purchased it & I guess they were not all babied miles if any. My own personal opinion is that the break rotors are more prone to break in issues than the engine. I've always believed if you baby it too much you'll end up with a dog.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The only thing that matters when you're breaking in the motor is not driving at a constant speed, and making sure you're not banging off the rev-limiter in every gear.

My car had less than 10 miles I believe when I picked it up, and the first day driving to work (15 miles on open roads) I fluctuated between 40mph and 110mph.

I go by the saying, "The harder you break it in (within reason) the harder it will run in the long run."

·
Banned
119 Posts
with all my new cars i live by this 1 break in rule .........
break it in how its gonna be driven
i have always had strong long lasting cars if you break it in like an old man then start tearing it up something is going to give but thats just me i have 200 miles on mine and its seen 120mph it just feels to good not to drive fast.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Whiteshadow said:
The only thing that matters when you're breaking in the motor is not driving at a constant speed, and making sure you're not banging off the rev-limiter in every gear.

My car had less than 10 miles I believe when I picked it up, and the first day driving to work (15 miles on open roads) I fluctuated between 40mph and 110mph.

I go by the saying, "The harder you break it in (within reason) the harder it will run in the long run."
Bingo

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you're going to be on the highway for a while, switch gears a bit. Drive it in 6th for a while, then down to 5th, then at 4th for a bit, etc... You just don't want to stay in the same RPM range for an extended period of time during breakin.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Whiteshadow said:

:agree

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.