Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a new Ram Air III manifolds with 2 1/2” pipes. I found that the manafolds and down pipes are very close to the starter and the tube the starter wires are in.
Should I expect issues with the starter and or wires over heating?

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
The factory rerouted the battery cable down by the engine mount. When I ran those manifolds, I left my battery cable in the original; tube. The manifold crushed the tube a little bit, and it melted my battery cable and solenoid wires together. I left the tube in the same place and wrapped the wires in two layers of different types of asbestos (a long time ago). I would suggest doing it right and buying the battery cable tube for those manifolds and reroute the wire. Since I didn't do mine that way, I can't comment on the differences in the length of the battery cable.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The RA/HO pos battery cable runs under the steering gear over to the block, then through the motor mount tube OMT is talking about. It is a different cable but I can't tell you whether is shorter or longer.

fullsizeoutput_1534.jpeg

·
Registered
444 Posts
I
20190522_170449.jpg
20200113_170041.jpg
also installed RA manifolds and was concerned with the wires and the heat on the starter solenoid. I put my battery cable tube on the front head stud ran my cable from the front and my starter wires stayed in the rear of the engine and slipped some heat tube on them. Also bought a high torque mini starter that you can move the solenoid to the bottom of the starter.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I View attachment 135667 View attachment 135668 also installed RA manifolds and was concerned with the wires and the heat on the starter solenoid. I put my battery cable tube on the front head stud ran my cable from the front and my starter wires stayed in the rear of the engine and slipped some heat tube on them. Also bought a high torque mini starter that you can move the solenoid to the bottom of the starter.
What are your thoughts on how to rout the other wire from the ignition?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I ran them down the rear of the motor like usual but the solenoid being on the bottom makes a big difference keeping them away from the manifold. Also used sleeves over the wires .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts