67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, separate forums for "technical" and "restoration" now....cool...:cool
Now we just need to get people to post in the correct forum...:willy:

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I'm glad Mitch mentioned this first.......I thought I was seeing things!:lol: We should let the ADMIN guys set the guide lines. I would however, suggest that when a member has a tech problem, and it finally gets solved, that the REMEDY that worked gets posted......That way we will have a great data base of PROBLEMS/CURES. :) Eric

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would you say is the cutoff between technical and restoration?
That's difficult to define too. I see restoration as the process of repairing the rust and damage issues, stripping of paint, rust removal and body work and technical as more mechanical questions as to how, what and where.

I'm glad Mitch mentioned this first.......I thought I was seeing things!:lol: We should let the ADMIN guys set the guide lines. I would however, suggest that when a member has a tech problem, and it finally gets solved, that the REMEDY that worked gets posted......That way we will have a great data base of PROBLEMS/CURES. :) Eric
Good suggestion about keeping good answers readily available in a sticky folder...:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think it is good that this has come up because interpretations will vary. I interpreted that any how to questions would go into technical but the restoration forum was a place to document and update their project as they go along. A way to see what the other guys are doing for ideas and inspiration.

·
67 Basket Case Restorer
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is good that this has come up because interpretations will vary. I interpreted that any how to questions would go into technical but the restoration forum was a place to document and update their project as they go along. A way to see what the other guys are doing for ideas and inspiration.
The restoration forum does provide inspiration but also as a place for others to ask questions about how to do a job they may be stuck on or just don't know where to start.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
I think "technical/general/restoration" are all pretty much the same. This whole forum is about restoring and repairing these 40-odd year old cars and keeping them on the road. My definition of restoration is: returning the object (entire vehicle, component or part) to "as manufactured" condition. Not over restored, like Barrett Jackson stuff, with bondo in the frame rails, and not an aerosol overhaul. Mitch mentioned rust repair: it's interesting that where you are located geographically determines your perspective of restoration....It's not even in the equation for some of us. I really don't see the need for a seperate "restoration" catagory. I think techinical and general is just fine.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
As a P.S., I think Eric's idea of "Problems and Cures" is an excellent one and could save a lot of people heartache and money!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts