Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Wow, nobody has any comments??? Really??......
Like?

Looks to be another great car in the Skyline lineage. Nissan definitely knows how to build a great powertrain. Styling.....not so much. With the exception of the late departed last generation Mazda RX7 the Jap taste in automotive styling is uh.....unimpressive.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I saw that on another site. The dyno was done "at the hubs" rather than the tire and an explanation says to ignore the flywheel hp.

I'll be curious to see how actual production cars perform on US 91 Octane.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
475 awhp from the new R35 GT-R. Definitely underrated by Nissan. Explains it's performance figures and such. Thought you guys might enjoy it-

R35 Dyno - NAGTROC - The GT-R Owners Club
Just like we said before the car is underrated. I was looking at a Top Gear mag today and saw a picture of the drivetrain layout, the tranny and "transfer case" is mounted in the rear so it has a driveshaft running from the engine back to the tranny and a driveshaft that runs from the tranny back up to the front wheels, talk about some parasitic drag.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those numbers are impressive but the price of the car is not. I like the look of it too. Like with anything else though, I'm sure the pictures do not give it justice. I wish I would have seen it at the LA Auto Show.
It's hell of a lot cheaper than it's main competitor the 911 Turbo. And a lot more exclusive, too. Seems a like bargain to me.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
It's hell of a lot cheaper than it's main competitor the 911 Turbo. And a lot more exclusive, too. Seems a like bargain to me.
To each his own I guess. I've been loyal to GM for quite some time so if I had the money, the Z06 would be in my garage. I'm not concerned with a car being exclusive but I guess it would be nice to have something that you don't see everyday. Oh snap, I do!! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Meh, I love the C6 Z06, but if it were my money, I think I'd buy the GT-R simply for the fact that it's such a capable all around car. I would seriously daily drive that thing. Hell, I'd even drive in the rain, lol.

On a side note, they're only bringing 1,500 to the States. Def won't see too many on the street.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
Meh, I love the C6 Z06, but if it were my money, I think I'd buy the GT-R simply for the fact that it's such a capable all around car. I would seriously daily drive that thing. Hell, I'd even drive in the rain, lol.

On a side note, they're only bringing 1,500 to the States. Def won't see too many on the street.
Only 1500? Man I may not ever see one on the road. Hopefully those who buy them will actually drive 'em. The good thing about being in Cali is there is always a good chance that you will see an exotic vehicle on the road when you least expect it.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I can definately second that, and I'm not even in a nice part of Cali. You never know what you'll see.

I'm definately with 6QTS on this one, for the money it's a Z06 for me. There definately is appeal to the GT-R though and if I were in say Denver, Seattle or Pittsburgh the GT-R would be the choice. Unless of course the dealers decide that the real price for the car should be north of 90k, which is my guess as to what they are really going to sell for. Then a Z06 and a Cobalt make much more sense.

The Z06 and the GT-R, even if the GT-R goes for 100k make the 911 Turbo look like it's overpriced and an underperformer. Porsche isn't upset though. They sell every 911 Turbo they can make and then some. It's that fashion thing, even if it isn't the best purse in the world some women just have to spend $600 bucks on a Coach. I went shopping with my girlfriend in Vegas 2 weeks ago, I know that for a fact.

·
Registered
730 Posts
unfortunately i wouldn't pay more than 45k for a nissan however impressive it might be. makes me even more reluctant when there's not many of that type here in the states. 1500 vs the 40k gtos. let's see it's already been a challenge to find some things for this car so far so i'll keep what i have. even my 4th gen x-body is next to impossible to find stuff for and there were over 500k made of those.:lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assure you, there will be NO shortage of aftermarket support for the new GT-R. The Japanese tuning companies are gonna be all over this thing. It's supposedly 'uncrackable' ECU has already been figured out.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Watched the video; the way you can show additional gauges in the NAV screen is sharp. I bet that thing even has an auto dimming rearview mirror - lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
I assure you, there will be NO shortage of aftermarket support for the new GT-R. The Japanese tuning companies are gonna be all over this thing. It's supposedly 'uncrackable' ECU has already been figured out.
Isn't that something. It's amazing how someone or some company will say that their system, no matter what it is, cannot be hacked into. There is always a way to get into a system whether it's for good or bad reasons.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ Yep, I don't know if you've heard of them, but 'Mine's', a really reputable tuner who mainly deals in Nissan Z's and Skyline's, and Mitsu Evo's, are the ones who cracked it. The cars are already available in Japan. Hence, the dyno run, and the few vids you can find here and there.

·
Super Moderator
2,640 Posts
^ Yep, I don't know if you've heard of them, but 'Mine's', a really reputable tuner who mainly deals in Nissan Z's and Skyline's, and Mitsu Evo's, are the ones who cracked it. The cars are already available in Japan. Hence, the dyno run, and the few vids you can find here and there.
I didn't know about Mine's until I started playing Gran Turismo. :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ Same here. The Gran Turismo series is what first got me into Japanese cars. Until then, I had just liked muscle cars....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would have to lean towards the Z-06 unless I wanted a fast, AWD, auto shifting ability daily driver. The GT-R is really more of a GT with all the comforts, refinement and AWD advantage.

But the Z-06 is better for the track, ESPECIALLY weighing about 700lbs less. At 3800lbs that Nissan will chew up brake pads and tires like crazy at that level of performance.

Chevy dealers are intimately familiar with the Vette, I can't imagine Nissan dealers doing well with the GT-R. I also believe its a HUGE mistake not to make it an Infiniti. I've called on all the dealers for years, there is a difference.

Will cracking the code make much of a difference on CA 91 Octane too? The BMW 335i wasn't tuned for performance, so it made a difference. The Nissan is a different story.

Finally, right now it's only offered with a DSG type transmission, not a true manual. Purists would object to that too.

I really see it as apples to oranges vs. the Z-06 and more of a competitor to the 911 TT as well.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I would have to lean towards the Z-06 unless I wanted a fast, AWD, auto shifting ability daily driver. The GT-R is really more of a GT with all the comforts, refinement and AWD advantage.

But the Z-06 is better for the track, ESPECIALLY weighing about 700lbs less. At 3800lbs that Nissan will chew up brake pads and tires like crazy at that level of performance.

Chevy dealers are intimately familiar with the Vette, I can't imagine Nissan dealers doing well with the GT-R. I also believe its a HUGE mistake not to make it an Infiniti. I've called on all the dealers for years, there is a difference.

Will cracking the code make much of a difference on CA 91 Octane too? The BMW 335i wasn't tuned for performance, so it made a difference. The Nissan is a different story.

Finally, right now it's only offered with a DSG type transmission, not a true manual. Purists would object to that too.

I really see it as apples to oranges vs. the Z-06 and more of a competitor to the 911 TT as well.
Deuuuce and I agree. Quick someone make sure the earth is still rotating!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts