Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding. But why has this site turned into a place where people can come in and brag about how cheap they got the GTO for. Remember when people used to boast about how expensive their car was? Times have changed I guess.

My question is, how many other people are pissed off at how cheap other members are getting these cars for? I mean it's killing the resale value, I'm sure. Not to mention it adds fuel to the fire, for any non-GTO owners (GTO haters), who know about this dealing. Now they have reason to say it's a "beefed up" Cavalier.

I love this car, and I don't mean to sound pompous when I say this, but it really bothers me that there are so many people driving around in this car now, that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. Especially since I pay $503/month for mine (and that was a good deal at the time I purchased it).

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Doesn't bother me. I didn't buy this car as an investment, I bought it for it's excellent grins-to-bucks ratio. I feel the ~$28k I spent (with aftermarket wheels etc) to be a fair price for a fun car.

From the many gas pump and parking lot conversations I've had with other car people, the GTO is in no danger of losing street cred. People seem to love the car and admire it for what it is...a modern muscle car.

If it were a good return on my money I wanted, I'd buy stocks. If I was looking for a slow depreciation, I sure as hell wouldn't buy a domestic car, least of all a Pontiac.

Besides...I put ~40k miles per year on my cars. The residual is wrung out of it by the time I'm ready to get another ride anyway. :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
It will all probably end in a few days.

It is wrong the way GM did it. Had I waited three days I would have saved $3000, I am a little upset, but trying to get back half. The rebates slaughtered the resale.

Combined with the crappy customer service I got on my wife's Aurora, I am going to lease in the future and see what the residual is. Why lay out the money only to get insulted when it comes time to trade in/up?

Why be stuck with payments and a lemon. My Aurora has some paint issues, if I leased the car I would not care. Forget about the random stalling and dealers (and the 800 customer disservice representativev( refusal to look up the TSB i cited them that almost got my family killed on a few occasions.

If not for GMACs keeping the residual up, I would not have bought a GTO, but for 285 a month to beat on one of their cars I couldnt resist.

I wonder how all these rebates will affect the demand for 05s.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
My hat is off to those who purchased the 04 with the great deals and incentives being offered. The current "low" resale values of the 04's are only temporary and were fueled by the 04 GTO's late production schedule.

My opinion is the value of the 04's will possible increase as the car's popularity increases. Only 12,000 05's will produced for the year and production will stop in May, when those are gone the GTO fever will be on the rise. The 05's will not see the great offers that were available on the 04's.

Check your current NADA value today and check it again in 3 months.

Just mt 2 cents,

·
Registered
8 Posts
djdub said:
I love this car, and I don't mean to sound pompous when I say this, but it really bothers me that there are so many people driving around in this car now, that otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. Especially since I pay $503/month for mine (and that was a good deal at the time I purchased it).
Glad to know I'm not worthy

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looking at what's happening, I may wait till next November or December for an '05 model. I have the patience to wait.

·
Registered
117 Posts
djdub said:
Your an Eagles fan so I think that you would be used to disappointment by now.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EdwardC said:
Your an Eagles fan so I think that you would be used to disappointment by now.
I hardly call 3, no wait 4 NFC East Championships a dissappointment. So, they never get past the NFC championship, at least they get there, remember there are 10 teams in each conference that don't even make the playoffs. I also hardly call 13-1 a dissappointment.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
SnoDrgn said:
Glad to know I'm not worthy
Like I said, "not to sound pompous". Obviously, you missed my tone. Your attitude only adds to my dislike of those driving the car out the door for peanuts.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you would think about it from my point of view... I work my ass of to be able to afford my 2 car payments and somebody sneaks in and snatches one up for 1/2 the monthly payment. All because they wait til the end of the model year and because they have a credit card charging problem earning them another $5000 off the car.

SnoDrgn, I'm sure this doesn't pertain to you, but at this price how many people do you think will be driving around in this car, that have no college education, or work at Wal-Mart, or are 17 and their parents bought them the car because it was a steal. You know those are the first people to drive around in the car acting like hot sh*t.

It's not adding to the cars appeal, it's detracting from it. If the new C6s suddenly dropped to $28k, don't you think even the new vettes would lose their appeal fast?

Again, I absolutley love this car, but I don't plan on driving it for the next 4 years, I never drive cars that long. So in 2 years I'm gonna get raped on a trade or if I try to sell it, all because GM has no clue how to advertise properly.

·
Registered
84 Posts
djdub said:
Like I said, "not to sound pompous". Obviously, you missed my tone. Your attitude only adds to my dislike of those driving the car out the door for peanuts.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If you would think about it from my point of view... I work my ass of to be able to afford my 2 car payments and somebody sneaks in and snatches one up for 1/2 the monthly payment. All because they wait til the end of the model year and because they have a credit card charging problem earning them another $5000 off the car.

SnoDrgn, I'm sure this doesn't pertain to you, but at this price how many people do you think will be driving around in this car, that have no college education, or work at Wal-Mart, or are 17 and their parents bought them the car because it was a steal. You know those are the first people to drive around in the car acting like hot sh*t.

It's not adding to the cars appeal, it's detracting from it. If the new C6s suddenly dropped to $28k, don't you think even teh new vettes would lose their appeal fast?
Personally, I take offense to this. It's unfair to assume that just because we got a good deal on a car, and posted about it to share our excitement and allow others to receive such a deal, that we're some spoiled 17yr old that could never afford the car.

I made such a post, and I don't feel bad about it at all...and I shouldn't have to. Instead of welcoming us to the circle of GTO owners, you want to scold us for being fiscally responsible. Just so you can hate me with full knowledge of who I am and not base your opinion on some ridiculous assumptions you made on a whim...

I am 26...I have worked for everything I have since I was 12
I have a college degree (BSBA)
I served in the Air Force for 2 years and the Marine Corps for 6 years
I own a house, a truck, and the GTO
I also "work my A$$ off" to earn what I have
I have never been handed anything
I am not now, nor have I ever been an employee of the Walmart Corporation
I don't drive around acting like hot sh!t
This is not the first sports car I owned, I had a C5 Corvette prior to the GTO.

So, next time you want to go making accusations based on presumption, get your facts straight and know who you are addressing.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted for not having gotten a better deal, but it is not our fault. If you want to blame someone, look to GM for that.

Oh, and Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I agree with you Snafu,

One more thing to add is that one can succomb to the "new car bug" very easily and get hosed at the dealer before any incentives are offered. It takes a measure of patience and self control to wait for the good deal before buying. Good timing can be rewarded. Regardless if one buys a GTO in the spring or in December, it is still the same GTO. The one bought in the spring costs more and probably has a number of miles on the odometer by now but being the first on the block to own one has its price.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think GM is getting a lot of bad blood for the way they are handling this.

I called the CEOs office today to ask why nobody told me I would get $3000 if I wated 72hours to pick up a toy I did not need, and do not need.

I got the car for 23,400 which is a great price until you see what people got it for a week later. I am pissed about the $3000, I also figured I better lease (smartbuy here in NY) because these incentives will have to affect the resale in a few years.

The people that bought the car when it came out and paid sticker, above sticker, or close to sticker based on representations made by GMs representatives (yes sales people are representatives of the company) only to find out the residual is dropping faster than anything Newton ever dreamed of have a right to angry, very angry at GM.

Hey, you made you bed now lay in it is not an acceptable response from GM. Who will get the last word?

I will when three years are up and GM wants me to get another car from them. My initial question will be where is the $3000 I would have had if I waited 72 hours? Oh, you want how much for me to keep the car? For 10,000 I would probably buy it assuming it is not a lemon, for 18600 I will buy a Civic, at least I have a pretty good idea what it will be worth in three years.

GM screwed the very people they need most, the enthusiast! I am the person people come to for car advice. Hey check out how the residual on my car dropped. yeah that will sell cars.

in the meantime lets keep posting the deals, the good is it may prevent someone from enriching a dealer unnecessarily.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Snafu said:
Personally, I take offense to this. It's unfair to assume that just because we got a good deal on a car, and posted about it to share our excitement and allow others to receive such a deal, that we're some spoiled 17yr old that could never afford the car.

I made such a post, and I don't feel bad about it at all...and I shouldn't have to. Instead of welcoming us to the circle of GTO owners, you want to scold us for being fiscally responsible. Just so you can hate me with full knowledge of who I am and not base your opinion on some ridiculous assumptions you made on a whim...

I am 26...I have worked for everything I have since I was 12
I have a college degree (BSBA)
I served in the Air Force for 2 years and the Marine Corps for 6 years
I own a house, a truck, and the GTO
I also "work my A$$ off" to earn what I have
I have never been handed anything
I am not now, nor have I ever been an employee of the Walmart Corporation
I don't drive around acting like hot sh!t
This is not the first sports car I owned, I had a C5 Corvette prior to the GTO.

So, next time you want to go making accusations based on presumption, get your facts straight and know who you are addressing.

I'm sorry if you feel slighted for not having gotten a better deal, but it is not our fault. If you want to blame someone, look to GM for that.

Oh, and Happy Holidays!

I think you are completely missing the point here. Your defensive tone is unecessary if what I said doesn't pertain to you. I didn't say it pertained to everyone that got these deals. Remember, though, this site is a small sample of the overall population of GTO buyers/owners. With these deals that are being "handed" to people, I am merely stating that this is the direction in which this car is headed. If this happens, don't expect to see the GTO's around in 2007.

I don't feel "slighted" and I am not stating facts, only opinions. And don't try to say that you are fiscally responsible for getting a great deal on the car, you are lucky, plain and simple. It is shear luck that GM would offer these kinds of incentives. Don't act like you waited for this to happen before buying the car. Nobody could foresee that GM would basically "give away" a car that only 8 months ago was being sold above MSRP.

Oh yeah... well Happy Holidays to you, too. :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
hello all.

i just took home my gto on thursday. i'm 30 years old and i don't work very hard (actually, i do. i'm just saying that for comic effect). after all the incentives, i took a 4 year smartbuy, 15,000 mi/yr, $0 down, $250/month. :)

heck yes, i got lucky with this deal. i originally went in to get a g6, but i don't think anyone can blame me for taking the deal on the gto.

for anyone that "might" be an eagles fan ;) -
i'm from syracuse, ny. from my perspective, philly folk might seem a tad hard to please. i do recall that many philly fans were actually upset when the eagles took donovan mcnabb over ricky williams. i bet those same fans aren't too displeased now. :)

anyway, i'm EXTREMELY pleased with the gto, and with the deal i received. i hope i'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is not just GM that screws people on specialty cars. Ford did it with the SVT Focus as well as the Gen III SHO Tarus. I know, I had one of each. :(
I think one should get the best deal you can but be prepared to find out that someone else got a better deal the next day. This is how the free market works.

·
Registered
84 Posts
djdub said:
I think you are completely missing the point here. Your defensive tone is unecessary if what I said doesn't pertain to you. I didn't say it pertained to everyone that got these deals. Remember, though, this site is a small sample of the overall population of GTO buyers/owners. With these deals that are being "handed" to people, I am merely stating that this is the direction in which this car is headed. If this happens, don't expect to see the GTO's around in 2007.

I don't feel "slighted" and I am not stating facts, only opinions. And don't try to say that you are fiscally responsible for getting a great deal on the car, you are lucky, plain and simple. It is shear luck that GM would offer these kinds of incentives. Don't act like you waited for this to happen before buying the car. Nobody could foresee that GM would basically "give away" a car that only 8 months ago was being sold above MSRP.

Oh yeah... well Happy Holidays to you, too. :D
Seeing as you made a generalization, it pertained to me...or at least that's how I took it. I understand this is a small sample as I am a member of several other GTO forums (which you may already realize...I recognized you from another)...but you need to see the same thing...not everybody is getting great deals there are still many paying much higher than others and closer to MSRP (or invoice at least)...in total there hasn't been that many posts about this and as you said yourself, it is a small sample size.

I honestly don't think this will effect the GTO's value as much as some speculate (or fear). It seems to be more indicative of GM cleaning up the mess they made with a lack of advertising and sub-par brand association and iconic reference. Will value drop? Yes, after all, a car is a depreciating asset. Will some or all of us lose our a$$es on it? Time will tell.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't exactly handed the deal...I researched the car for months, I spent abuot 3 weeks contacting and driving to many dealerships and speaking (online) to other owners and the deals they negotiated. From that I surmised what I might be able to get the car for...not in my wildest hopes did I think I would get the deal that I did. I already knew how dealerships work and how to haggle, what I did learn about was the dealer certificates (not that they exist, but what programs GM was offering the dealerships), and I did get a "heads up" about upcoming promotions and was urged from a few who could not reveal their sources to wait until a certain date, as better promotions would probably come along (but I had no clue what these would be and was on the fence for quite some time). And that is what is great about these forums...you can become a well-educated consumer with a little time and effort. For those who walked into this type of deal a$$-first, you are truly blessed.

I was not trying to infer that my fiscal responsibility had anything to do with my deal, rather it was my persistence that produced results. My comment about financial responsibility was in reference to your assertion that all of us getting good deals were zit-faced, hand-fed, spoiled Mama's boys and couldn't balance a checking account let alone by some stroke of genious actually be established in life, even at a young(er) age.

Do I think I'm lucky? Hell yes! Am I sorry for being lucky? Hell no.

Oh, and I was serious, not sarcastic...have a nice Holiday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey folks, you know as well as I do that a lot of people are simply lying on these forums about what they paid. Gee, uh, I paid, uh, $18k out the door & they threw in a plasma tv as a sweetner... ;)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Snafu said:
Seeing as you made a generalization, it pertained to me...or at least that's how I took it. I understand this is a small sample as I am a member of several other GTO forums (which you may already realize...I recognized you from another)...but you need to see the same thing...not everybody is getting great deals there are still many paying much higher than others and closer to MSRP (or invoice at least)...in total there hasn't been that many posts about this and as you said yourself, it is a small sample size.

I honestly don't think this will effect the GTO's value as much as some speculate (or fear). It seems to be more indicative of GM cleaning up the mess they made with a lack of advertising and sub-par brand association and iconic reference. Will value drop? Yes, after all, a car is a depreciating asset. Will some or all of us lose our a$$es on it? Time will tell.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't exactly handed the deal...I researched the car for months, I spent abuot 3 weeks contacting and driving to many dealerships and speaking (online) to other owners and the deals they negotiated. From that I surmised what I might be able to get the car for...not in my wildest hopes did I think I would get the deal that I did. I already knew how dealerships work and how to haggle, what I did learn about was the dealer certificates (not that they exist, but what programs GM was offering the dealerships), and I did get a "heads up" about upcoming promotions and was urged from a few who could not reveal their sources to wait until a certain date, as better promotions would probably come along (but I had no clue what these would be and was on the fence for quite some time). And that is what is great about these forums...you can become a well-educated consumer with a little time and effort. For those who walked into this type of deal a$$-first, you are truly blessed.

I was not trying to infer that my fiscal responsibility had anything to do with my deal, rather it was my persistence that produced results. My comment about financial responsibility was in reference to your assertion that all of us getting good deals were zit-faced, hand-fed, spoiled Mama's boys and couldn't balance a checking account let alone by some stroke of genious actually be established in life, even at a young(er) age.

Do I think I'm lucky? Hell yes! Am I sorry for being lucky? Hell no.

Oh, and I was serious, not sarcastic...have a nice Holiday.

I, too, got $1500 in dealer certificates as well as the $3500 rebate. (I needed these because I had $7k in negative equity from the car I traded in). Without my neg eq, the sale price was still $29k a TTL. But getting a reduced price plus rebates, plus dealer certificates, plus up to $5k in GM card earnings is assinine. That's what I'm talking about, when I say "giving" these cars away.

What other car company does this, not Honda, not Toyota and that is why you can buy a Camry for $20k and sell after 4 years and get $17k.

The fact of the matter is this, GM messed up good with advertising. Now, they are slowly but surely furthering the demise of the GTO yet again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Where in the heck is this extra GM card rebate coming from? They have sent me offers for an extra $500 or $1,000 but never over that.

I think all of this deal talk is just plain confusing. We have rebates, coupons, GM card earnings, bonus earnings, supplier discount, employee discount.

I sure can't keep track of it all.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts