Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of a yellow 2005 gto and do I have to use synthetic oil or can I use regualr quaker state, castrol type oil and makesure to change every 3,000 miles? Thanks

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
As per the owners manual, page 5-15:

What Kind of Engine Oil to Use

Look for two things:
• GM4718M
Your vehicle’s engine requires a special oil meeting
GM Standard GM4718M. Oils meeting this
standard may be identified as synthetic. However,
not all synthetic oils will meet this GM standard.
You should look for and use only an oil that meets
GM Standard GM4718M.
Notice: If you use oils that do not have the
GM4718M Standard designation, you can cause
engine damage not covered by your warranty.
• SAE 5W-30
As shown in the viscosity chart, SAE 5W-30 is best
for your vehicle.
These numbers on an oil container show its
viscosity, or thickness. Do not use other viscosity
oils such as SAE 20W-50.
Oils meeting these
requirements should also
have the starburst
symbol on the container.
This symbol indicates
that the oil has been
certified by the American
Petroleum Institute (API).
You should look for this on the oil container, and
use only those oils that are identified as meeting
GM Standard GM4718M and have the starburst symbol
on the front of the oil container.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The K&N is a drop in that was in it when I purchased the car.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The K&N is a drop in that was in it when I purchased the car.
Another question the two air holes on top of out hoods I briefly felt from the inside of the hood and seems like its blocked from air actaully going in is this only for looks or what?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm a new owner of a yellow 2005 gto and do I have to use synthetic oil or can I use regualr quaker state, castrol type oil and makesure to change every 3,000 miles? Thanks
I've used Mobil 1 5w30 with the applicable Mobil 1 filter from the first day I bought the car. No issues.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I use whatever is on sale at the time for oil and I always use the Purolator filters because they are good quality and reasonable priced. Plus the gold serious ones have a ruff coating so they are easy to turn on and off by hand.

The LS2 are synthetic only per the owners manual and oil cap on the motor.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use whatever is on sale at the time for oil and I always use the Purolator filters because they are good quality and reasonable priced. Plus the gold serious ones have a ruff coating so they are easy to turn on and off by hand.

The LS2 are synthetic only per the owners manual and oil cap on the motor.
Hmm I'm trying to remember If I ever seen this Purolator here in my city. I live in santa maria central coast cali and we have oreileys formanly kragens, autozone, and napa.

So every 5,000 change the oil or what?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Oreillys should have a WIX filter and they are a very good quality filter. The only filter I've ever ran into that I wouldn't even put on my riding lawn mower is a fram. They have got to be the worst filters in existence. I know countless people that have had major oil pressure problems with them.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The only filter I've ever ran into that I wouldn't even put on my riding lawn mower is a fram. They have got to be the worst filters in existence. I know countless people that have had major oil pressure problems with them.
Do you really know 'countess people'that have had problems with Fram? I think it's one of those urban legends. I recall posting in a similar thread that I don't use Fram but that's because I've always heard not to. I've never heard a definitive explaination as to why, however. Is there really a reason other than 'everyone' has always said not to use them?

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
I used to use them in the past but I always heard 'don't use Fram' so about 20 years ago I stopped. Never had a problem when I did use them and don't have any first hand knowlege of anyone else who did.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
I'm taking a shot in the dark here. I think the issue started when people cut open Fram filters and seen that the filtration element was basicly newspaper. I used Fram filters in my Mitsu for close to 100k miles never had a problem with it, thing still ran like a top until I sold it. I've allway heard people say don't use Fram, but I'm one of those people that has to see it to beleave it. I'm not from the "Show Me State" but you have to show me.

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
5000 is mark I'm using, since that's about all the mileage I put on in a year. I use Fram ToughGuard filters and Amsoil 5W30XL. I've put on about 3,000 on the latest change, and it's still a nice honey color.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I'm a new owner of a yellow 2005 gto and do I have to use synthetic oil or can I use regular quaker state, castrol type oil and make sure to change every 3,000 miles? Thanks
I use Castrol Syntec in my 04!! I usually get 5,000 miles out of it. I like the K & N filters cause with the nut on the bottom it is easy on and easy off...:cool

·
Banned
2,777 Posts
I just noticed the GM4718M spec for the oil... The stuff I've been buying is GM6094M.

Does anyone know what the difference is supposed to be? Newer service rating or something?:confused

1 - 20 of 27 Posts