Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! What a car. I picked her up yesterday and it's a blast to drive a manuel again after 4+ yrs. 400hp doesn't hurt either! I got a Quick Silver 6spd with factory 18's and BLK interior. I only have 180 miles on it but took it up to 5K and she really flies! My previous car was a 1996 ImpalaSS which did 1.7 60' ,[email protected] 1/4 (stock heads/cam) but it can't compare on the big end with this GTO! I would like to hit ETOWN(GM high tech) in 2weeks to get a baseline.

What are you guys running on stock tires/ and DR's? I'm reading 14.1's to 13.0s at 102 to 110mph. Just seems like a large margin even in different DA's and temps. Anyway. Hopefully the East Coast air will help me out! After 500miles I plan to change the oil. What do you guys use? Synthetic? Royal Purple? This is my daily driver and I live in NY! Any tips would be great. OK. Got to go for another cruise!! I love this thing! Glad to be here. Jimmy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congratulations!! Yeah, I love mine too. Awesome cars!! I went 13.454 at 107.34 on Sunday. It was about 80 degrees, 73% humidity. It has alot more in it. That was on the 18's with the 235's. That was with a weak 2.160 60'. I'm convinced I can do a 13.2 in it. That was 100% stock, just removed the spare and tools. No power shifting, and it was on the second time I have EVER driven a manual transmission on a track. The first time was the slow 14.1 at 100 that I ran an hour priot ot my 13.4. The only thing is, KEEP IT COOL AT THE TRACK. Ice is a must, and give it a long time to cool off between runs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Wow that's some difference. Did you remove the engine dress covers? 107+ is just awesome and I would be very happy with that. Wonder how fast it'll go at Cecil County dragway in Maryland in a month or so? Looks like ice is mod #1!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome and Congrats :party:

The 05 comes with Syn Mobil 1 and that's what I stayed with.

Second Mod should be a Radar Detector as these Goat's get up to triple digits before you know it. ALso pull the plugs in the hood scoops.

Be Safe and Pick your Spots... :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I pulled out the plugs in the scoops but I still have the covers on. I backed the 13.4 at 107 with a 13.7 at 105 with a 10 minute (or so) cool down to wakt pictures, no ice. It makes a BIG difference. That launch on the last run wasn't so great either though. Get some sticky tires and ice that intake, I bet you can get 13 flat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch guys for the tips. Free HP is the best HP and it seems that this car is super sensitive to the heat.
The guy who dynotuned my ImpalaSS(Bryan Herter) said he underestimated his 6spd 05 and wound up lossing control and the back end hit a pole! I had the Goat in 4th at 20mph and floored it(1st time), hit 100mph like nothing! Just a build of power and it really started pulling once at 50mph. Very impressive. It's been raining here so I have not looked over the car yet. The hood scoop mod looks like a great idea though.

BTW. I have 5quarts of Mobil One 10W-30. You think this is OK for winter use or just stick with the factory spec?

Hey slono, you color combo was my first choice. I think the Impulse Blue is awesome, but the nightmare of keeping a dark car clean again was too much. Silver is always clean! :) . Thanks again fellas. Jimmy.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!
I'd suggest removing the fuel rail covers and the hood plugs to help keep it cool. These things hate heat. I've run anything from 14.2 down to a 12.895, and speeds from 100-111. The 12.895 was on a 60 degree day with a good sticky track and wasn't my best mph. The best mph was on a 13.0x run.
What seems to work best for me is to give it a lot of time to cool off. Make sure you don't hit the rev limiter, but get it close to redline. The difference between the LS1 and the LS2 seems to appear above 4500- 5000 rpms up to redline. That's where you make power. I launch at a conservative rpm and come out of the clutch fairly quickly. I get very little wheel spin and no wheel hop that others have complained about.
As for the 10-30 , I'm running10w-30 in Florida, and I wouldn't hesitate to do that in NY for the summer, but winter, I'd go with 5-30.IMO.
Enjoy and please post times when you run it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
111!?! DANG! That is awesome. I can't wait until it gets cool here. My goal is to go a 12.9x before I get any "power" mods. But if not, 12's with boltons would make me pretty dang happy too. I'm never gonna race my truck again hahaha.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Congratulations and welcome! I'm the resident Ford guy, so make sure you remember to add me to your block list. :rofl:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.