Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hello. I purchased a 1966 GTO from my brother in law. Car was originally his fathers. I am currently waiting for it to be shipped from NC to Florida. Has all original paperwork, but has not been started in a year. It is a tri power, but I want to verify that it is all original with my own eyes before I decide what direction to go with this car. Looking forward to learning from the vets on this forum. Will post pictures when I receive the car in the coming week. One thing I would like to ask is where do I start? Drop the fuel tank?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just wanted to say hello. I purchased a 1966 GTO from my brother in law. Car was originally his fathers. I am currently waiting for it to be shipped from NC to Florida. Has all original paperwork, but has not been started in a year. It is a tri power, but I want to verify that it is all original with my own eyes before I decide what direction to go with this car. Looking forward to learning from the vets on this forum. Will post pictures when I receive the car in the coming week. One thing I would like to ask is where do I start? Drop the fuel tank?
When I originally got mine it had been sitting for two years that I knew of. Ended it up buying it from the family and they knew nothing about the car. I knew the engine was not seized because I could rotate it. But I went ahead and threw a few squirts of oil in the cylinders. It had a air cleaner on it so I just sprayed some carb cleaner then cleaned out the tank,put new plugs, points, condensor and cap along with wires. Thinking if I have to rebuild I would have those parts already. Lowe and behold almost started on the first time with a few puffs of smoke and it ran well for ten plus years. I pulled the motor shortly after and put new gasket set and detailed the motor and engine bay then restored the car around the motor. Had to do a complete rebuild about two years ago now. Hopefully yours has a better history. Cleaning the tank is probably not a bad place to start if you have no history.
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Pontiac Jim gave advice on a great thread here sometime in the past about starting an old motor like that. I hope he will join in and revisit that for you. It was excellent post, step by step.

Good luck sounds cool, should be ablee to reduce the love bug population some with that!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Awesome let’s keep bringing these boys to Florida! I just bought a 65 last fall and had shipped to FL, and have put over 1000 miles on it already. Working A/C helps extend the “season” down here for sure.
Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Beautiful car.
It appears you have the later heads (16) from a 400/428. Depending on the head casting date they could be 1968 big valves or 1970 small valves (same size as the 64-66 heads)
What is the engine code and casting date of the block?

65C23A41-84B7-498F-B088-DBBB013D5380.png BDC2DDC2-DC38-4DAC-9EEF-E7F4C9F076AA_4_5005_c.jpeg 242EEDC4-9FD2-46A5-B30C-D7BD2B46C86B_1_105_c.jpeg

·
Premium Member
397 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome. I’m new here as well and have found the information available on the site to be great. Good luck with your 66.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Finally was qble to get the car. So it is a 1966 with a 1964 engine. Has the tripower. Found out why it has a 64 engine as it was stolen years ago and the engine was pulled. Still very excited as now I don't hqve to keep it 100% original. View attachment 144352 View attachment 144352 View attachment 144353 View attachment 144354 View attachment 144355 View attachment 144356 View attachment 144357 View attachment 144358

Also has the later 400/428/455 style valve covers. IF it is a 1964 block/engine, it may have been bored out so as to use the later #16 heads (if big valve heads/screw-in rocker arm studs). Easy enough to verify - look at the casting date code just below the valve cover towards the rear of the head.

How many bolts on the water pump? Early has 8 and later has 11. Later block, 1968 and up has 1-piece harmonic balancer, 1967 and earlier has a 3-piece balancer.

Also see what appears to be a "Radio Delete" cover below the heater controls?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts