Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just closed the deal on my new goat! Black on Black w/ M6. Pretty excited. Love this forum - convinced me to pre-order the CAGS eliminator (thanks all). I also had the dealer add the Scorpio ram air hood with a K&N FilterCharger. I've had a couple different estimates on how many extra hp I'll get - any inputs? I'll include pics when I take delivery next week - I think the mods are really gonna put it all together - and any feedback I have on performance.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Before they put on the hood (unless I'm too late)...I've heard that some people have has MAF sensor issues with changing the location of the air filter box, something about oil or something getting on the sensor and screwing it up? Just check with the dealer, it could have been nonsense...but it's worth looking into. Also, with the fiberglass hoods, do they have to do any sort of ignition shielding like they used to with the older vettes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, the MAF sensor and ignition shielding are two questions I'll have to check on. Anyone else got an answer on those?

On the hp issue, I did get a reply from the VP of MPD about the Scorpio and K&N mod...it follows below....

---I have had a couple customers that have dyno tested their cars before and after the hood and air box, however they had also added some other mods like a cam and different exhaust as well, so the results would be inclusive of all the mods and not just the hood and airbox.

I am pretty positive that a dyno test is going to show some added HP
(possibly 10 to 20HP) with just hood and air box, however the problem with
the dyno test is that it will not simulate the added airflow coming in while
driving at speeds at say 75 mph, so the test wouldn't be accurate in that
respect and may not show the full benefit that you would get in a quarter
mile race or highway performance. It is something that many people will
argue about I am sure.

I have read articles that K&N filters alone have added as much as 25 HP on
different models. It's a difference for sure, but I can not make a
definitive claim as to how much. I can tell you that you will notice a
difference in sound inside the car with the ram air set up which is nice.
The appearance value out weighs that of the stock hood by far and I can
guarantee that you won't find a better fit. The hood is lighter than the
stock hood by about 8 pounds as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts