Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at buying a GTO for over a year now. I couldn't take it anymore so I went to the dealer to give one a test-drive and came home with a black-on-black 06 M6 that had only 3 miles on it:cheers . I put about a hundred miles on it today and have already gone through 1/2 tank of gas. Does anyone have any recommendations for breaking in the engine? So far I've tried to keep it under 3K RPM, but I haven't finished reading the owners manual, so I don't know what the manufacturer recommends.

thanks,

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
There are a lot of different theories floating around -- but here's mine. I would take it easy for the first 1,000 miles -- then change the oil.

Otherwise, Xman posted another theory where somebody recommend taking the car up to near redline pretty consistently during break in. Personally, I thought it was crazy -- but the author made some interesting points and backed them up with data. You can search for it -- but it seems like you and I are on the same page in this regard.

Congrats on your car. Be sure to read the owner's manual -- as the GTO has tons of cool features that aren't easily found. Check your tire pressures as well. The cars are shipped with 60 psi -- and some dealers forget to adjust them. Have fun!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice, especially the tire pressure. I assumed the dealership would have given me the car with everything squared away such as fluids and tire pressure. I checked it this morning and it was at 54 psi. I've driven 150 miles with the tire pressure that high, do you think I should have the tires checked out since their max rating is 44:confused ?

·
Registered
850 Posts
dealernut said:
Welcome.

I would drive casual under 500 miles persoanlly. Try to alternate the speed of driving and the RPM's. Try not to rev the engine anywhere near the red line.

Turn you Amp up
Turn your Ddl off
Check your tire pressure
:agree One other thing though.....HAVE FUN!!!!! Welcome to the herd!:party: :cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.