Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After a year of lurking on this forum and ls1gto, I just bought a new 06 cyclone gray M6 w/ 18” wheels. On my way to the dealer and just after I signed the papers I wasn’t convinced that I really should be buying this, as I don’t need a new car. But on the long (400 miles!) drive home from the dealer, my uncertainties vanished. Beautiful, well executed car—amazing power, nice interior, nice ride. Looks better in person than in the pictures. Only real dislike I have is the shifter, but it’s not that bad. I never owned a muscle car before, and was previously driving a Geo Prism with 175k miles on it, while my wife drives a Subaru forester, so quite a change! Its a bit scary, though, as its too easy to accelerate to jail-time speeds in very little time. Quite a feeling that you can kick the *ss of 99% of the cars on the road.

When I was driving it home from Atlanta (GA) to Mississippi I saw a few other drivers and passengers staring at it, and when I stopped to pay a bridge crossing toll, the girl who collects the money said to me approvingly “bad car!” Even my wife likes it (but won’t drive stick)!

BTW, I had a very good and surprisingly honest experience at the dealer. If anyone is near the Atlanta, GA area and looking for a car, I would enthusiastically recommend John Allen at Hennessy Pontiac in Morrow (no, I don’t get any $$ for referrals). I had GMS pricing so that may have had something to do with it, but he was up-front, didn’t try to pull a fast one, and I got to test drive the car alone. Another dealer that I checked wouldn’t even honor the GMS pricing. There was also no dealer sticker plastered to the back of the car. I saw a torrid red 06 w/ 17” wheels in the showroom, but I don’t think they have any other GTOs.

Sorry for the long post, I’m excited about my goat! I’ll clean the bugs off of the car and post some pics. tomorrow.

Kand

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the goat herd or whatever they call us. Let the modding begin. LOL

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welcome to our little corner of the world. It is the most awesome and fun place to enjoy a cup of coffee or a beer, light hearted banter and some serious GTO enthusiasm. :cheers

Glad the girl at the toll booth had at least an idea of what she was looking at, just wait till you start hearing the stupid questions about the car and believe me they will come, we've all had them asked. :lol:

Monica

·
Registered
455 Posts
Grats on the new Goat!

I can sympathize with the "new car guilt" as I had my share when I first picked up my GTO too, but I got over it. I guess part of it was having owned all used vehicles before, except for one 'new' car that was cheaper than most new cars! (One of the cheapest three models, stripped down, and with price talked down).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.