Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lurking for a while and thought I'd say hello. I live in Southeastern Georgia. I registered here when I first started looking for a Pontiac of the 60's/70's. In high school a buddy of mine had a 72 Lemans that I remember being awesome, so as I have gotten older and more stable I have been looking and reading in hopes of finding one for myself.
About two weeks ago I picked up a 1970 Tempest with a rebuilt 400. The owner became ill and it had been sitting in his yard for a couple months. Long story short, I think he could tell I had plans for it and let it go for a song. I brought it to the shop that had done some other work on it and they went through and installed new brake lines and shoes, some wheel studs and checked out a tranny leak. Since today is Veterans Day I thought it was fitting to haul her home this afternoon. So now she is sitting in my garage and I can finally get my hands dirty.

I have had other vintage cars In the past such as a 47 Plymouth, 71 Mustang, and a Galaxie from the mid 60's. The past 10 years I have been into older bikes. Mostly Harley and Honda CB750's. I figure this will be a good project that my kids can help with and we can enjoy together.

There is a laundry list of things that need to be done, but I am not going to list them here. I am typing on my phone and this is really just an intro. I have already enjoyed all of the knowledge on this site and look forward to contributing some knowledge at some point. Thanks for having me.

I will see if I can figure out how to attach pics from my phone,
Erik

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't figure out how to post pics from my iPhone, so if someone knows how to do that, let me know. Let's see if this works.

I am not a huge fan of the jacked up rear end and the fat tires, but maybe it will grow on me. The car looks pretty good from fifty feet, but the paint is chalky and faded. It actually looks like a roller painted Rustoleum job.

The interior has some rips and tears. The dashboard is cracked, the windows need new seals, and the headliner is torn (but there is a new one in the package in the trunk).

It also has manual drum brakes on all four corners which are scary. All of my other vehicles had power brakes and at least discs on the front. I am not sure where the line between scary and dangerous lies :)

First order of business is to pull out the interior seats and carpet so I can assess the floor pan and possible other rust issues. There is some rust, but it doesn't look that bad. As we all know, "some rust" can turn into a ton of work, so this should give me a better idea of what I am in for, and at the very least, evict some of the spiders that have taken up residence since it was parked.

Hope the pics come through.

Attachments

·
64-67 Expert
8,561 Posts
Welcome, and nice car. '7o's have nice lines, and are good drivers. I've been running stock drums on all my GTO's forever, and no worries. I just drive accordingly. Seriously, the only noticeable difference in stopping power is at speeds over 80mph, which aren't legal anyway! ;) It seems Pontiac guys are eclectic. I used to drive a '47 Chrysler Highlander, a '64 Galaxie, and was into '60's Honda CB350's.....among other stuff.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the drums go, I know that they are probably just fine for driving around. I just have no baseline as far as how good or bad they should be. The guy who replaced the lines and shoes said they are fine, so I guess for now I take his word for it and upgrade what I can as I find the time and the funds. On one of the threads here I read that manual drum brakes are decent, and they get better as the adrenaline kicks in.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Welcome, that's a solid looking Tempest. I had some wheels just like that on my 69' firebird in the 80's, it was "jacked" up with 50's on it too....:D.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome, that's a solid looking Tempest. I had some wheels just like that on my 69' firebird in the 80's, it was "jacked" up with 50's on it too....:D.
I am just torn on the look. I feel that a car with 50's on the rear should have enough power to lift the front wheels off the ground. Someday it might :) but if it doesn't have the power then it is like putting a big spoiler on a Sunfire.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We have a Pontiac (POCI) Chapter just south of you in Jacksonville, FL. You can check it out at dixiechapter.com . Look at the pictures on the Member Rides tab and the Past Activities tab to see what we have been doing. We just had our annual Pontiac show with 71 cars in attendance. Also we attend the free cruise-in on Main Street the 4th Sat of the month and try to park within a block of Krystals, just look for the Pontiacs. 500 or more cars usually show up and cruise and park for 8-12 blocks. Lloyd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts