Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello members, I just recently purchased a '67 Lemans, vert, 326, power glide, console / bucket seat car. Car is super solid and straight. I'm new to Pontiacs and my main focus on the car is a good detailing and sorting everything out, then a possible 455/th400 swap. My main questions is what are my main challenges with this potential project regarding: exhaust manifolds/ clearance? Radiator and fan shroud? console shift linkage? And a basket of other challenges I'm sure. I have access to a '70 Bonneville drivetrain that I may consider.

Thanks for accepting me on your form and I'm sure these questions have been answered here before. Thanks to all that send me links to threads and to those that offer input.

Fred

Premium Member
Welcome aboard!
Very clean car and looks like a good start.
Pontiac engines are all the same size and are almost identical from 1955 to 79. The 67 GTO came with the TH400 so most of your questions can be answer as follows; its almost a drop in. You may need to upgrade the radiator, replace the motor mounts, (455s are different) and modify the driveshaft but everything else should be plug and play.

Since you're new to Pontiacs we'll let you in on a little secret. Pontiacs don't have Powerglides. They (and Buick/Olds) have an ST300. It shares very few parts with the Chevrolet Powerglide.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome aboard!
Very clean car and looks like a good start.
Pontiac engines are all the same size and are almost identical from 1955 to 79. The 67 GTO came with the TH400 so most of your questions can be answer as follows; its almost a drop in. You may need to upgrade the radiator, replace the motor mounts, (455s are different) and modify the driveshaft but everything else should be plug and play.

Since you're new to Pontiacs we'll let you in on a little secret. Pontiacs don't have Powerglides. They (and Buick/Olds) have an ST300. It shares very few parts with the Chevrolet Powerglide.
Thanks, I should have been more clear with my introduction. I am new to classic cars having bought a 70 Buick GS 2 years ago and a 66 Buick skylark vert in November and having done a lot of work to. I'm rich with skills and tools having worked in the building trades for 35 years but limited in experience with classic cars.

Registered
welcome
buy the 70 because its probably a 4 bolt 455 and often a long tail shaft trans,,,high compression engine
gettin tough to find complete good engines ,,,
BUT
leave the car original ... just drive it ,,,
power antenna eh ?

Scott

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welcome
buy the 70 because its probably a 4 bolt 455 and often a long tail shaft trans,,,high compression engine
gettin tough to find complete good engines ,,,
BUT
leave the car original ... just drive it ,,,
power antenna eh ?

Scott
Yes power antenna. My plan is new carpet and seat covers, new top, recondition wheels, new rubber, clean and paint trunk, radio repair/ upgrade, clean and polish every inch. Drive it and decide if I want to do the power train upgrade. If it happens it will be all Pontiac. I don鈥檛 care for any aftermarket equipment. And yes I鈥檒l have the 70.

Registered
1967 400/400
Good luck with it. I'm in Jersey, too and I've had 67's apart and welded back together, more times than I can count. There aint a piece of that car that I don't know... aside from heater core replacement, theyre fun to work on! Congrats!

That 326 can be built for fun!!!!!

PM me if you get jammed up. I'm all over the state, every day.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good luck with it. I'm in Jersey, too and I've had 67's apart and welded back together, more times than I can count. There aint a piece of that car that I don't know... aside from heater core replacement, theyre fun to work on! Congrats!

That 326 can be built for fun!!!!!

PM me if you get jammed up. I'm all over the state, every day.
Great, I'm sure I'll be calling on you and others.
Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts