Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i loved the 68-69 GTOs since i was 15 at the lastest when i saw one( the judge) at my dads friends farm sitting next to his brother inlaws trailer. it was in good condition and was selling it for a cheap at the time 3000...unfortunately i couldnt afford it at teh time and neiher could my parents to help me out just till i could pay them back.

but now 13-14 odd years later im in a position where i can, and a wife that supports it. ive been looking at craigslist and found a 68 GTO judge clone which appears to be in decent shape. heres the description :

"This is a 68' GTO Cloned to look like a 1969 Judge, 400 Pontiac rebuilt with forged pistons, roller rockers and comp cam. M21 4 speed rebuilt. Was told it was an M22 when I bought it but it is an M21. 12 bolt Auburn posi with 3.55 gears. Aluminum radiator with dual electric fans. Power brakes, and was converted to power steering. Has new Hotchis springs. New chrome rally wheels. This is a really nice car and runs very well. Needs a little interior work and thats it. It is from Las Vegas and is rock solid. Just painted last year."

my question is to all of you, is what do you think this car is worth?

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
so i loved the 68-69 GTOs since i was 15 at the lastest when i saw one( the judge) at my dads friends farm sitting next to his brother inlaws trailer. it was in good condition and was selling it for a cheap at the time 3000...unfortunately i couldnt afford it at teh time and neiher could my parents to help me out just till i could pay them back.

but now 13-14 odd years later im in a position where i can, and a wife that supports it. ive been looking at craigslist and found a 68 GTO judge clone which appears to be in decent shape. heres the description :

"This is a 68' GTO Cloned to look like a 1969 Judge, 400 Pontiac rebuilt with forged pistons, roller rockers and comp cam. M21 4 speed rebuilt. Was told it was an M22 when I bought it but it is an M21. 12 bolt Auburn posi with 3.55 gears. Aluminum radiator with dual electric fans. Power brakes, and was converted to power steering. Has new Hotchis springs. New chrome rally wheels. This is a really nice car and runs very well. Needs a little interior work and thats it. It is from Las Vegas and is rock solid. Just painted last year."

my question is to all of you, is what do you think this car is worth?
pretty tough shape inside. what a disaster that dash is. cant see much of the body who knows about that. i would guess 6-7k range. if you were to restore the car and make it nice you would spend 12-15.
you asked.

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you want a 69 GTO there is a nice one in STLouis on Craigslist (listed just a couple days ago) needs restoration but supposedly all there, SAVE A CAR, don't buy one already ....well somewhat done.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
I'd pass on that one. If you want a 69 Judge, or a clone, keep looking. It will cost FAR less to buy one than build one.........beleive me, I know! :cheers eric

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hes asking 12500...i was just curious what ud offer him if u were interested? im not looking into a full rebuild, but im not nessarily looking to blow 25k either, or at least all at once. a clone doesnt nessarily bother me as i would plan on sooner or later dropping a FI motor like a 6.0 from a silverado or alike, but with a 6 speed manual.

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
Twelve-five is about twice what the car is worth. I'm with the others here. This car is worth much less than if it were "left alone". A Judge clone out of a '68 is a downgrade, IMO. As stated, that interior/dash is an expensive fix. I have seen MUCH nicer solid '68's and '69's going for 12k or thereabouts...in fact, I just missed a near-mint original '68 last year with less than 100k miles on it for 12k...I would let this one pass, unless the price plummets.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Take ALOT more time looking around. You will find a nice car for a fair price in this economy. Are you mechanically inclined and are you going to do work yourself? Or will you pay someone to do things that need to be done? If you are not going to do the work yourself spend a little more money on a car that is much more "complete". This hobby can get real spendy really quick. To redo that interior you could drop $3-$4k easy.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I agree, that is quite a bit considering what it still needs, even if you just want a hotrod and dont care about the dash or how it looks under the hood. The paint looks nice from here but pics can make bad stuff look good, and who knows what you would find under that shiny paint if you found a small problem. If I had the money I would think about it at $6k or $8k if the engine had some good parts in it and the interior was ok, but at $12k I would just smile and walk away. That is like me asking $12k for my 70 and it hasnt had anyone murder the dash.

The front end looks nice though.

·
Former Moderator
3,523 Posts
Looks like a cobbled mess inside. The seats aren't '68 or '69. Maybe '72. Dash is a disaster. I think the owner is hoping someone will get caught up in the shiny paint. Seen '68 Judge clones before. Basically, a '68 with a wing, paint and stripes. If you want a Judge clone, at least start with a '69 or a year that actually had a Judge..JMO

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I agree with all about the price.. But, it may be a rust free Vegas car. It also has all the options, and may have a very strong motor under the hood. Body and paint/endura bumper look good. Like the rest, 6k-8k sounds alright if the body is solid. Interior looks alright, just dusty from the body shop, new carpet it $120. Motor looks like it has been raced/hopped up, intake, headers, MSD.
Body shop I hang at just took in a 70 Chevelle barn find. Had the car media blasted, no rust at all, POR 15 the whole car, ready for paint. But, the rest of the car is "as found".. Sometimes you have to look beyond the obvious to find the root. The car may be dead solid neglected with documentation, I'd take a look. It may be a bondo'd up abortion also..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i emailed the guy and asked for a few pics of like the trunk and stuff and heres what i got back :

"Car is rock solid and from the desert. It's missing the marker lights up front and the hideaways do not work. They guy I bought it off of threw most of the hardware away. Needs some interior work and the lights up front to be complete. I don't have anything to record for youtube either."

also heres the VIN i got from it, i saw a post a couple of days ago how to break down all the numbers but now i cant seem to find it :/

24237 8Z121761

·
Registered
475 Posts
well i emailed the guy and asked for a few pics of like the trunk and stuff and heres what i got back :

"Car is rock solid and from the desert. It's missing the marker lights up front and the hideaways do not work. They guy I bought it off of threw most of the hardware away. Needs some interior work and the lights up front to be complete. I don't have anything to record for youtube either."

also heres the VIN i got from it, i saw a post a couple of days ago how to break down all the numbers but now i cant seem to find it :/

24237 8Z121761
that makes it worse. if the headlight hardware is missing you are talking big bucks if you can even find it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now im orignally from PA, and for a 43 year old car it the body does seem pretty solid to me as the gentleman had said...i think id rather tackle the interior as body work seems to always be much more expensive to do...im just wondering if this guy will come down on price at all?

·
Registered
475 Posts
now im orignally from PA, and for a 43 year old car it the body does seem pretty solid to me as the gentleman had said...i think id rather tackle the interior as body work seems to always be much more expensive to do...im just wondering if this guy will come down on price at all?
the body does look rust free. that is a big plus as long as you understand you are buying a lot of work and expense.
my advice would be that unless you are able to do the work yourself pass it up and buy something nice. restoration is expensive work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ultimately i just want to have a sweet weekend ride...ive always liked the 68-69 GTOs, not that i didnt mind the previous gen, but these just caught my eye. i want it as a driver to have fun in and cruise in. im not trying to make it into a trailer queen or show car by any means. not that i dont appreciate a sweet interior, which i plan on to a point of coarse evenutally, but just over time.

i appreciate all the quick responses btw....im just looking at ways to legitamize if i ask him to go down, way down if i decide to go thru with it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts