Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola,

New guy here. Eight years ago I bought a 1967 GTO project someone else had started. It is mostly original and ran and drove when I bought it, though all of the trim was removed, (though included with the car). I finally have the time, space and resources to throw into getting it closer to being something to drive.

My 19 year old nephew will get the car when I pass one day and wants to help with the at home restoration. One of the things he wants to do is clean up the trim on the car, i.e. headlight bezels, door and lower trim (I hesitate to call it chrome as its probably best described as stainless, but he calls it chrome) to re-installation after body work and paint.

I am certain that it has been talked about here before, and it there is a link to such a discussion, please link if for me, but what products and process should we use to accomplish this? I note that there are issues with small rusting on the inside of the passenger's side vent window surround, inner half. What is the best way to clean and refurbish that?

Any advice is welcome. I will have heaps of questions as this proceeds.

JD

·
64-67 Expert
8,569 Posts
The headlight bezels, vent windows, and front fender rocker trim (at the bumper) are all chrome plated, not stainless. All of the other trim is stainless on a convertible, but on a hardtop the trim along the top of the doors is anodized aluminum. The stainless can be removed and professionally straightened and polished, and the aluminum can be stripped and re-anodized, or stripped and polished, or stripped, polished, and clear-coated. This work is time consuming and exacting, but will really wake up the appearance of the car. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts