Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, name is Will. I just bought a new 06, 6spd with the 18" wheels. I just love the car, my first 6spd too and it's awesome. I used to have a 83 chevy camaro z28 with a new gm crate 350, it was fast and fun. I lost interest when it became very clear I would need 50k to really make it the way I wanted it. Plus my wife hated it since it was very impractical for daily driving. I still have it and am in the process of fixing it up to sell. Hope to have some good times here and meet some of you.

Attachments

·
Registered
456 Posts
:cheers

My GTO is one month old today! :D

It's gotten faster, sounds better, better gas milage too :cool

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on the new GTO. :cheers Picked up mine 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Love it as I am sure you will love yours. I recommend you check the air pressure in your tires. I, of course, regularly check mine (usually once a week or so), but since I just took delivery, I kind of skipped it for 2 weeks now. Checked it this morning before taking a short road trip, and found OVER 50 lbs of pressure in each tire. I have no idea what the actual pressure was since my tire gauge only went to 50 and it pegged. I don't know if the boneheads at the dealership did it or it came from the factory that way. Anyway, it rides much better, corners much better and of course has MUCH better traction. Again, congrats on a great car.

·
440 RWHP/400 RWTQ
202 Posts
It's done for the long boat ride from abroad! Check your springs too! might have left the knuckles in the coils too!

·
Registered
937 Posts
marathonman said:
It's done for the long boat ride from abroad! Check your springs too! might have left the knuckles in the coils too!
I would like to expound on that point......

Check your tire pressure (mine had 60 PSI)
Check your Oil level (Mine was 1 qt low)
Check your Coolant level (My recovery tank was empty and the radiator was down a few inches)
Check the springs for the shipping inserts (As mentioned)
Clay bar your vehicle to remove shipping uglyness
Send your cluster to Chris to enable your shift light. :cheers

Add gas and enjoy!
:party:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, you all have nice cars too. As you have said each and everyday I love this car more and more, and yes the mpg is getter better as well all the time. I will check all the things mentioned, thanks for the tips. Oh, as for the shift light, I don't understand what you mean, my shift light comes on only when the car wants me to skip from 1st to 4th, works everytime. Is there something else that should be working?

·
Registered
456 Posts
JMVorbeck said:
I would like to expound on that point......

Check your tire pressure (mine had 60 PSI)
Check your Oil level (Mine was 1 qt low)
Check your Coolant level (My recovery tank was empty and the radiator was down a few inches)
Check the springs for the shipping inserts (As mentioned)
Clay bar your vehicle to remove shipping uglyness
Send your cluster to Chris to enable your shift light. :cheers

Add gas and enjoy!
:party:

I just checked my tire pressure (1st time)

40psi fronts
45psi rears

(what should they be:confused )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There is a tire pressure label on your drivers side door jam mounted to the body of the car.

? for you guys, how do you know how many of your cars are made? I notice some people say 1ofxxx made, how do they figure that out? Just curious, I would love to find out for my car, thanks for the help and info.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Tire Pressue

I checked my inside drivers side door...

(cold)
33psi Front
39psi Rear

·
Registered
140 Posts
My tire pressure on the lot was 45 psi. The salesman was speechless when I asked why it was so high. Door says 35psi. Manual says 32 under about 800lbs load and 35 psi with 800 lbs. Lot's of opinions on what it should be. The 17" are the same BFG KDWs that came on my '03 and '04 Marauders and there were many different opinions on tire psi.
I split the difference and run the GTO at 33--becuse of the possible strut rub issue.

AAA and many other mags say bump the psi up a few pounds when going on a long road trip for better gas mileage. I bump it up to 35 for highway trips.

I rode on three sets of these BFGs and got about 5,000 more miles than the average Marauder driver running 35 psi on a daily basis. I ran 32/city and 35/highway on the Marauder for four years. I really like the BFGs G-force tires and this was a big factor in my buying decision. I think that most tire problems are from the usual under/over inflation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree with you about the tire pressure issue. I had the BFG KDWS on my old camaro and they were awesome. Dry and wet weather traction was amazing for a rear wheel drive car with no traction control. I got awesome wear from them too, rotated them and balanced them every 6k miles and I had them almost 44k miles. Once the factory tires are done on my new goat I plan on getting the BFG KDWS again.

·
Registered
229 Posts
wills06gto said:
I agree with you about the tire pressure issue. I had the BFG KDWS on my old camaro and they were awesome. Dry and wet weather traction was amazing for a rear wheel drive car with no traction control. I got awesome wear from them too, rotated them and balanced them every 6k miles and I had them almost 44k miles. Once the factory tires are done on my new goat I plan on getting the BFG KDWS again.

I like the Cyclone Gray. I have a 05 CG.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.