Pontiac GTO Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks glad to be here. Just sold a Jeepster Commando I restored fir crazy money and am in the market for my dream car, a 67 GTO HT either blue or black, black interior, Mabie AC, automatic (bad knee now so no clutching) I’ve built 2 cars now and have been in the hobby for many years, so new to the GTO world but not new to wrenching on my own stuff. I do need a sanity check here as it seems my 25-45K budget is almost not enough to get into the mid range of decent 67s. I did just find a decent 67 hardtop for 50k. It has a transplanted 428 from a 67 Catalina and a 66 tri power set up off a 66 421. The car is super straight, minimal bondo, no rust, great paint and decent interior. PS,PB,TH 400, AC,factory gauge pkj brakes are drum all round, diff is 3:31 open (I think). Car is clean and nice inside and out , factory rally wheels, phs docs, runs and drives strong. We’re at 50K. Seems like a lot but I swear I can’t find anything better in a car I want and can (barely) afford. I apologize for the long text FNG disease I think.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Honestly, only way cheaper into one of these cars right now depends if you're a purist or not. A clone or tribute car would go for way less than a legit GTO. Upside is the initial price is lower and most folks at a car show won't know the difference anyway. The downside is you will not see the surge in value like for a GTO and there is a fraction of the crowd who will turn their noses up at your ride. Typically those guys are either the VERY long term original owners or one of those d**** bags that opened their wallet and spent way too much on a car they felt was unique in some way (hint, most of these are not, they made hundreds of thousands of them). To me, this would be an avenue worth taking. You wanting an automatic car should help in the price department. If you go this route, make sure the car was switched over well. Nothing worse than a car that is an obvious rebadge.

There is a third option. Rather than a GTO, look for a LeMans. They can be had for similar to lower prices to a clone and won't really tick anyone off. Plus side is when it comes time to modify it, if that's in your plans, you shouldn't take a huge ding on ruining a classic. There are probably very few GTOs that can run with my LeMans.

Whatever you decide has to be the right choice for you. Even the cheapest car you will find is going to be an investment. Keep us posted, and if you do land in a Pontiac, there is a wealth of knowledge on here. Typically, tech questions get answered pretty quick.

·
Registered
1967 GTO Post
87 Posts
Honestly, only way cheaper into one of these cars right now depends if you're a purist or not. A clone or tribute car would go for way less than a legit GTO. Upside is the initial price is lower and most folks at a car show won't know the difference anyway. The downside is you will not see the surge in value like for a GTO and there is a fraction of the crowd who will turn their noses up at your ride. Typically those guys are either the VERY long term original owners or one of those d**** bags that opened their wallet and spent way too much on a car they felt was unique in some way (hint, most of these are not, they made hundreds of thousands of them). To me, this would be an avenue worth taking. You wanting an automatic car should help in the price department. If you go this route, make sure the car was switched over well. Nothing worse than a car that is an obvious rebadge.

There is a third option. Rather than a GTO, look for a LeMans. They can be had for similar to lower prices to a clone and won't really tick anyone off. Plus side is when it comes time to modify it, if that's in your plans, you shouldn't take a huge ding on ruining a classic. There are probably very few GTOs that can run with my LeMans.

Whatever you decide has to be the right choice for you. Even the cheapest car you will find is going to be an investment. Keep us posted, and if you do land in a Pontiac, there is a wealth of knowledge on here. Typically, tech questions get answered pretty quick.
I agree with your sentiment but I beg to differ on the quantity of 67 GTOs made quote "car they felt was unique in some way (hint, most of these are not, they made hundreds of thousands of them). "
Sorry 67 GTOs never had that kind of numbers

1967 GTO Production Numbers
Coupes 7,029
Hardtops 65,176
Convertibles 9,517
Total 81,722

1967 Pontiac Tempest Specifications & Production Numbers
Model NumberBody/Style NumberBody Type & SeatingFactory PriceShipping WeightTotal Production
Tempest Series
233694d Sedan - 6P$2,3883,140 lbs13,136
233072d Coupe - 6P$2,3413,110 lbs17,978
233354d Station Wagon - 6P$2,6663,370 lbs3,495
Tempest Custom
235694d Sedan - 6P$2,4823,145 lbs17,445
235394d Hardtop - 6P$2,6083,240 lbs5,493
235072d Coupe - 6P$2,4343,130 lbs12,469
235172d Hardtop - 6P$2,4943,140 lbs30,512
235672d Convertible - 6P$2,7233,240 lbs4,082
235354d Station Wagon - 6P$2,7603,370 lbs5,324
Tempest LeMans
237394d Hardtop - 6P$2,7713,265 lbs8,424
237072d Coupe - 6P$2,5863,155 lbs10,693
237172d Hardtop - 6P$2,6483,155 lbs75,965
237672d Convertible - 6P$2,8813,250 lbs9,820
Tempest Safari
239354d Station Wagon - 6P$2,9363,390 lbs4,511
Tempest GTO
242072d Coupe - 5P$2,8713,425 lbs7,029
242172d Hardtop - 5P$2,9353,430 lbs65,176
242672d Convertible - 5P$3,1653,515 lbs9,517

To summarize Across all models
2d ht 171,653 (65,176)
2d cp 48,169 (7029)
conv 23,419 (9517)
Total 243,241

So across all models we see hundreds of thousands be it 2 of these and by percentage the GTO numbers show why a true GTO has the value it does.

So my two cents on this.... and we all know the saying about the similarity with opinions and a particular body part

I think the prices are crazy and if it was an all original including paint yea but all "restored" with all new floors trunk and panels not so much. Granted one that had all this done and looking like it is original cost more than the car can bring.

Lets face it you can pretty much build a car from after market parts well we were able to till recently with the supply chain bs.

For me I would be Ok with a Lemans my first car was a 67. I would build it the way I wanted I love the 67 GTO grill and hood so yup they go on there. If the tail light panel and lights are in usable condition yea they stay if not well this gets tuff ever try and find a 67 Lemans taillight assy? The Gills stay for sure love the look. Chrome and badges keep the Lemans trim.

Now what is this 67 Lemans worth compared to a numbers matching all original GTO?

If you are a collector then ya numbers matching GTO. If you want to get a 67 to drive find the best one in the best condition if it needs work it can not be 50K and if it is not a numbers matching GTO it should not be 50K

You said you 45K well you should be able to get a 67 Lemans that is ready to drive for that and still have some money left.

A fully decent 67 GTO can be found for 45K or less but may need work.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
As the owner of a numbers matching, 67 hardtop, survivor, 400/400, non HO, I'm often a bit embarrassed that Im "one of 65,000". I'd feel better if my car was an HO, a 4 speed, or at least loaded... but nope. So to Jareds point, although he was paraphrasing, I honestly often wonder what made my car a GTO at all... Especially considering I had a 66 Lemans, fully loaded, with just as much or more power.

At the end of the day, it is exactly what I love about a 67... a sick looking, fun, functional car, that's easy to work on (so long as it's not headers). I wouldn't sell my car for less than $55k, and it's not restored. The adjusters have all placed it at $65k, and that was before the spike in prices.

To the OP, it's always good to put your address in your profile. Hard for someone to try and help you when you could be in Australia, for all we know. If you're near Jersey, I know several people to talk to about finding your dream car... If you're in Cali, nope.

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
And for the record, I was always strict about colors, but Ive found that it's very easy to fall in love with what you get... So don't shy away from what you want, if it's the wrong color. Better a solid Gold car, than a crummy Black one. Mine is white and I hated it, now not at all.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've built a couple cars from pieces of junk up to quality vehicles...no bolts untouched, frame-off type of rebuilds and I had way more in them than they were worth when complete. So, my advise is to look for something that has already been brought up to your standards. Seem like you are doing that anyway. As far as budget goes...you'll get more car for your money if the work has been done where someone is willing to loose some of there investment (happens all the time).

BTW, I have what you're looking for (it's not for sale)...67 GTO, blue on blue, Auto, AC,PS, but with manual drum brakes. The redo will afford power brakes and discs up front. I have had this car a long time and the body is in good shape (minor rust and some workable dents), nearly all the trim is in restorable condition, motor and trans are strong (they will get gone through anyhow), but it's getting a frame off, with all new interior soft parts...long story short, I am starting with a well preserved car, but it needs (I need it) to be completely taken apart and brought back (I enjoy the process more than the ownership). I have stared a list of parts for everything except drivetrain/suspension and I am looking at spending $20K (interior, front and rear glass, misc needed trim, bumpers. etc. Then the drivetrain/suspension should fall around 10 to $15K. Let's throw in another $5K for stereo, tires/wheels, paint supplies (if I paint myself, more if outsourced), and the things that just surprise you and I am at the top end of your budget. Don't forget...I started with a car that would have brought around 10 to $20K. I'm not trying to discourage you by no means, just trying to be real so that you can prepare for the cost of these Pontiacs. They, who ever they are, have estimated that a high end restoration of the 66 & 67 GTO's will be in the 6 figures this year. Where you can land between your budget and that will determine a combination of two things...how lucky you are in finding an affordable car to start with and how "finished" it is in the end.

I'm rambling, FOG disease, lol!

I'd say you have found a good buy, depending on the finer details. For that kind of money, I'd want to know details on the drivetrain work that has been recently done so that you know what to expect to spend on it in the near future...motor/transmission rebuild timeframe/mileage and power component specs. I, for one, would not like a economy 428, but if it's been souped-up, that's different. Now, the 331 rear needs to be Safety-T-Track'd.

Enjoy the search and welcome to the forum...you've come to the right place!

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with your sentiment but I beg to differ on the quantity of 67 GTOs made quote "car they felt was unique in some way (hint, most of these are not, they made hundreds of thousands of them). "
Sorry 67 GTOs never had that kind of numbers
I figured I had embellished the numbers a bit and I'll admit to my error. I'm glad I didn't say millions of them. I typically check in on here before I leave for work in the morning and my brain isn't always turned completely on (especially on a Monday).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would watch BaT (Bring a Trailer: The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer) by signing up and setting up an email notification when a Pontiac is posted. I have already done this and get around 5-10 emails a week or so. Here is a link to the history of recent Pontiac sales: The best vintage and classic cars for sale online | Bring a Trailer. Colors have always been a secondary factor. I currently own 5 GTOs and none of them are colors I would have ordered and now I wouldn't change any of them. I think the 40-50k range is pretty accurate actually, but with your skills I wouldn't even second guess a project car. Good luck, Randy

·
Registered
1967 400/400
2,115 Posts
I figured I had embellished the numbers a bit and I'll admit to my error. I'm glad I didn't say millions of them. I typically check in on here before I leave for work in the morning and my brain isn't always turned completely on (especially on a Monday).
Jesus bro, can you please get these statistics straight? I was on the phone with my broker and everything. Sheesh.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the great replies folks. I’m in Oregon BTW, I will get that into my sig. I found out the 67 I am interested in does have a recent rebuild (200 miles ago but 6 years ago) on the engine and also on the TH400. Paint was also done nicely and car is solid. I still think I’m paying a bit much but I do like it and it’s a real 242 car. I intend on several mods so it will never be an all original numbers car (been there, done that, no fun in my book). I am going to take this car! Thanks for all the input. See you around the forum.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've built a couple cars from pieces of junk up to quality vehicles...no bolts untouched, frame-off type of rebuilds and I had way more in them than they were worth when complete. So, my advise is to look for something that has already been brought up to your standards. Seem like you are doing that anyway. As far as budget goes...you'll get more car for your money if the work has been done where someone is willing to loose some of there investment (happens all the time).

BTW, I have what you're looking for (it's not for sale)...67 GTO, blue on blue, Auto, AC,PS, but with manual drum brakes. The redo will afford power brakes and discs up front. I have had this car a long time and the body is in good shape (minor rust and some workable dents), nearly all the trim is in restorable condition, motor and trans are strong (they will get gone through anyhow), but it's getting a frame off, with all new interior soft parts...long story short, I am starting with a well preserved car, but it needs (I need it) to be completely taken apart and brought back (I enjoy the process more than the ownership). I have stared a list of parts for everything except drivetrain/suspension and I am looking at spending $20K (interior, front and rear glass, misc needed trim, bumpers. etc. Then the drivetrain/suspension should fall around 10 to $15K. Let's throw in another $5K for stereo, tires/wheels, paint supplies (if I paint myself, more if outsourced), and the things that just surprise you and I am at the top end of your budget. Don't forget...I started with a car that would have brought around 10 to $20K. I'm not trying to discourage you by no means, just trying to be real so that you can prepare for the cost of these Pontiacs. They, who ever they are, have estimated that a high end restoration of the 66 & 67 GTO's will be in the 6 figures this year. Where you can land between your budget and that will determine a combination of two things...how lucky you are in finding an affordable car to start with and how "finished" it is in the end.

I'm rambling, FOG disease, lol!

I'd say you have found a good buy, depending on the finer details. For that kind of money, I'd want to know details on the drivetrain work that has been recently done so that you know what to expect to spend on it in the near future...motor/transmission rebuild timeframe/mileage and power component specs. I, for one, would not like a economy 428, but if it's been souped-up, that's different. Now, the 331 rear needs to be Safety-T-Track'd.

Enjoy the search and welcome to the forum...you've come to the right place!
Thanks for the input, definitely going to install the Safety Eaton Posi....I agree completly with your statement about enjoying the process....

·
Registered
51 Posts
i looked and looked when i decided to buy this time, looked everywhere and finally decided i'd take a finished car as i did'nt want to spend all my time on a resto. i looked at ads all across the country and then decided to get on facebook group and just made a little post saying i'm looking for blah blah blah, and BOOM im 20 min i had 5 cars to pick from !
i actually went with a very very clean tribute 65 conv, could'nt afford a true one this nice and finished, so i got it and don't regret it. like others say enjoy the search, it's fun and time consuming but has it's rewards.

·
Premium Member
4,725 Posts
And for the record, I was always strict about colors, but Ive found that it's very easy to fall in love with what you get... So don't shy away from what you want, if it's the wrong color. Better a solid Gold car, than a crummy Black one. Mine is white and I hated it, now not at all.
Very True....and remember paint and body work is VERY EXPENSIVE, usually can't be done at home, and is a very long and usually agrevating process. Mechanical and interior is "lessexpensive"and can be done in your garage IF you know how!!!:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Thanks for all the great replies folks. I’m in Oregon BTW, I will get that into my sig. I found out the 67 I am interested in does have a recent rebuild (200 miles ago but 6 years ago) on the engine and also on the TH400. Paint was also done nicely and car is solid. I still think I’m paying a bit much but I do like it and it’s a real 242 car. I intend on several mods so it will never be an all original numbers car (been there, done that, no fun in my book). I am going to take this car! Thanks for all the input. See you around the forum.
Share some pictures once you have it safe at home. You've landed in a great place. One thing you can expect on these old cars is the unexpected. Reach out on here if you encounter something strange. Chances are, someone else has already encountered it and can help.

Welcome to the GTO/LeMans/Tempest club!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Share some pictures once you have it safe at home. You've landed in a great place. One thing you can expect on these old cars is the unexpected. Reach out on here if you encounter something strange. Chances are, someone else has already encountered it and can help.

Welcome to the GTO/LeMans/Tempest club!
Thanks for the kind words! Yes this seems like a great place, I’ve been on lots of forums and the GTO community seems to be really great. Should have the car home by the end of next week! I will definitely post pics.

·
Registered
639 Posts
lololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololololo

Yes. I agree with Jared
How do like this for unexpected? I don't think I ever shared this shot but it's pretty self explanatory. This was the result of my Pontiac engine wanting the AFM technology of a newer car. It did only have 4 cylinders that were active after this happened, so affective?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is not a good way to welcome the new guy! Actually I’m only newish to GTOs….I’ve had my share of suffering for the sake if our hobby and these freaking old cars. I hope I never get over it man

1 - 20 of 24 Posts